Multihulls4us Forums  

Go Back   Multihulls4us Forums > Multihull Design Forum

Multihull Design Forum Discuss the design characteristics of multihulls

Old 30th January 2011, 03:25 AM
Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Default US Catamaran kit builder

I haven't studied the site real thoroughly, but for those of you considering building your own catamaran in the States, this might be of interest to you.

Offshore Catamarans:
http://www.offshorecats.com/kits_plans.html

http://www.offshorecats.com/michaelbell.html

I don't know anything about them, and only stumbled across this company while "surfin' the 'net" tonight -- they do claim to have built el Tigre, now named Nice Pair, which I seem to recall reading about in the past in Multihulls magazine. It is/was a pretty quick boat, as I recall.

Marshall
Old 4th February 2011, 01:19 AM
Banned

Default Re: US Catamaran kit builder

I took a peek at these. Like many of the kits on the market, I felt that putting together the hulls yourself (if you are doing all the thousands of hours of the rest of the build) is a better use of time and money.

http://www.offshorecats.com/offshore48pricelist.html

$79K for a pair of hulls seems excessive. However, the quality of materials here is great compared to many kits I looked at.
Old 15th March 2011, 06:04 PM

Hi,

As I am just finishing up a 3 year build of a catamaran, I can relate that one of the easiest and least time consuming tasks of building a cat, is building the hulls. That step is usually accomplished in the first few weeks.

The most time consuming individual task will almost always be the final fairing and preparing for painting.

One could probably build those hulls for $10,000-$$15,000 in materials.

Keith
Old 15th March 2011, 06:33 PM
Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Hi kmontor,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your boat.

I am sure many members on the forum would like to hear more about your boat and your trials and tribulations building it! (The abuse comes later!!)

Not sure which smiley to use! I never, ever used them until I took in with this bunch!

Marshall
Old 15th March 2011, 06:40 PM
Boat: 26 ft Heavenly Twin - TWO MINDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmontor View Post
Hi,

As I am just finishing up a 3 year build of a catamaran, I can relate that one of the easiest and least time consuming tasks of building a cat, is building the hulls. That step is usually accomplished in the first few weeks.

The most time consuming individual task will almost always be the final fairing and preparing for painting.

One could probably build those hulls for $10,000-$$15,000 in materials.

Keith

Hello, that's interesting.

I had assumed that much the most time consuming work would be on the interiors. Elecs etc initially, but then the bits you see.

It is easy to do a poor job but it takes ages to do a good job on upholstery and surface finishes.

Mike
Old 17th April 2011, 10:18 PM

Hello, congratulations for your boat. Is there any photo?
Old 17th April 2011, 10:32 PM
Boat: Oram 44C cruising Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
Hello, that's interesting.

I had assumed that much the most time consuming work would be on the interiors. Elecs etc initially, but then the bits you see.

It is easy to do a poor job but it takes ages to do a good job on upholstery and surface finishes.

Mike
Stuff like this really depends on individual definitions. If you count the whole interior, including fairing and painting internal surfaces, building galleys, heads, seats, tables, plumbing wiring etc etc... then yes, the interior takes much longer than painting and fairing the outside.

Now it's a year and a half down the track, the external fairing and painting don't seem so bad..... I actually enjoyed the spray painting (although at one stage my respirator filter needed changing and I was enjoying it a bit TOO much )

The point is, there are many ways to build a boat, usually for a similar product more money equates to less work, but they all will be worth it in the end IMHO.

I have to say though, $79k for just a pair of hulls is very expensive. Without actually checking the price, I wouldn't be surprised if the kit for an Oram 48C cost similar or less. That would include all materials to structurally build (and externally fair) the entire hull and bridgedeck shell.

Last edited by 44C; 17th April 2011 at 10:40 PM.