Multihulls4us Forums  

Go Back   Multihulls4us Forums > Multihull Sailing Forum

Multihull Sailing Forum Discuss any topic relating to multihull sailing

Old 5th April 2011, 01:57 PM

Default Jeffcat 32'

Good Day fm Brittany!
I am the owner since last year of a Lerouge designed catamaran Jeffcat 32'.
Only 6 or 7 have been built at the end of the 80's. I am not able to trace any other of them. I heard about one which would be lying in British Columbia. Another one has been sold last year in the French Carribean.
I have never seen any other than mine on the net.
If somebody has some infos he is welcome...
Old 5th April 2011, 01:59 PM
Boat: 26 ft Heavenly Twin - TWO MINDS

Default Re: Jeffcat 32'

Hello and welcome. Do you have any pictures of your cat? I have never heard of them.

Mike
Old 5th April 2011, 07:48 PM
Boat: 1987 27 ft Jaguar (monohull) & 1979 Catalac 8M

Mike,

This is what they look like :

And Joana, I saw one listed for sale when I was searching... It was out of budget range so I did not visit...
I uploaded all the pics I have (I believe it was lying in France) on photobucket

Must be a great boat ...

:
Old 6th April 2011, 03:59 PM

Default Jeffcat 32'

GD,
The one on the above picture is mine.
Indeed it is a pleasant multihull, very easy to steer. Probably not as fast as modern Lerouge designs, but much faster than my previous monohulls.
Why not having purchased a multihull many years earlier?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_17815.jpg (49.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06176.jpg (54.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 6th April 2011, 04:36 PM

GD,
The one on the above picture is mine now. Indeed it is a pleasant catamaran, very easy to steer. Probably no as fast as modern Lerouge designs but much faster than my previous monohulls!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06176.jpg (54.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_17815.jpg (49.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 6th April 2011, 05:03 PM
Boat: Maverick 400 (Catarina)

Nice looking cat, very well pproportioned for a 32ft Cat, enjoy her!
Old 6th April 2011, 07:46 PM
Boat: 1999 - Sunstar 32 - 'BABIBA'

Hi Joana
The Jeffcat, if I am right was an early Solaris Sunstar 32 that I have, but she would have been much lighter and tiller steered if I am right.
She probably sails better than mine as I also have twin ninboard diesels and I think the Jeffcat had a single outboard.
Very nice looking cat
Old 6th April 2011, 08:18 PM
Boat: 38 ft solaris sunstar

One of the drawings I have is actually a Jeffcat 32 , and as far as I know it was designed by Msr Le Rouge
Years back I called him re my 2x spreader rig and his tort reply was " I did not design zis boat !"
From the photos , they are extremely similar , except for , as Ian states, designed for an outboard with tiller steering , and so a little heavy ( hate that word ), at the designed length with twin deisels and wheel steering .
I agree it is a pretty boat with good well balanced proportions .
enjoy ....
Old 25th June 2011, 08:10 PM
Boat: 1988 Jeffcat "32"

We are the owners of the J.C. 32 in British Columbia. The boat was named Simon's and had been sailed for a few years out of Brest then into the Med. and subsequently across to the Caribbean. We purchased it in St. Martin F.W.I. in January 2010 and shortly later sailed it to Ft. Lauderdale where it was transported aboard a Yachtpath ship to British Columbia. Ours is # 5 of the seven or eight that were built. I'm not an expert on these boats but I'll share what I have learned so far, some of which may be incorrect. The first few boats were 32' after which the molds were altered with two more feet added to the sterns [Ours measures 34']. The factory had a fire after boat 7 or 8 and the molds were supposedly destroyed, the company then started on the Jeffcat 42 but went out of business before beginning production although some 42's have been built from those molds. Along the way the hull mold was either salvaged or pirated and a couple of incarnations with different deck molds were created, namely the Kiwi Passion and Sunstar 32. This is why Mr Lerouge doesn't comment I believe. These were of solid construction and were heavier with diesels in the hulls. The original Jeffcats were cored construction vacuum bagged with isopthalic resin and knitted glass instead of roving, fairly modern construction for the day. We have re-named [with the proper ceremony] our Jeffcat "Simone", and are busy with some much needed upgrades. I can post further information including performance ratings and photos if there's interest.
Old 25th June 2011, 09:01 PM
Boat: 10.2 m one-off Oldenziel cat "Burnout"
A Glass of Shiraz please

Hi ibnot24get,

Please do provide further information and photos on your upgrades to "Simone", always of interest to a Lerouge fan!

------------------
I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns
Old 28th June 2011, 04:18 PM

Hello,
Pleased to have a contact with a JF32' owner. They are not so many.
Thanks for the infos, I heard the same one about the shipyard.
Indeed it would be nice to have some pictures of yours and any other info.
I also purchased mine in Brest last summer and I sail in South Britanny (France). It is the number 3 with an outboard. It is 9.90m long. The last ones were indeed lengthened to fit 2 inboard engines.
I did a lot of cosmetic upgrade this winter, especially in the cabins. But a lot remains to do. I changed the sails for a new hydranet set this month with a slightly bigger main sail (pictures to follow when available).
Old 28th June 2011, 05:44 PM

Hi Joana:
It's great to meet another J.C. owner. This coming weekend marks a year since our boat arrived in Canada. Our fall and winter was consumed by building a boat lift for "Simone" to sit on as we are in a tidal area. I'll attach a photo of it if I can. This spring I installed a composting toilet [Natures Head] that enabled me to remove 2 thru hulls and glass them over. The toilet is a real hit, no smell at all and very easy to manage, I would recommend it to anyone. We put a little Nexus [Profurl] single line furler for the gennaker and got a snuffer for the spinnaker to make handling easier. We still have to finesse our sail management having not had much time to practice. I changed the motor controls from a stock Yamaha box to a Teleflex unit that is much less awkward, however that was more work than I expected. In the process the manual bilge pumps were improved as well. The motor lift arrangement was not so good and I just happened to have a small bronze worm gear winch at hand, so now that lifts the motor, you just plug a winch handle in and turn it. We are also working on the interior, headliner replacement, re-bedding the leaking acrylic windows, and changing the trim color from bright yellow to white. We just got a collapsable cockpit awning from Swisstech, it looks like a good thing but we haven't used it yet so we'll let you know. Wendy is just finishing a set of cockpit cushions, we Canadians must be very tender in the derriere, the previous owners got along fine without them, I think the French have tougher bottoms. Our list is very long, but having Simone at home makes the work much easier and more fun. In searching for boats I used the fellows from Multihull Dynamics to do performance comparisons of the various boats we were looking at, as well as having some wonderful advice from Richard Woods, although I'm not sure he likes this boat. This was all very helpful for someone new to multihulls. These were some of the numbers we got from the M.D. guys, I hope I'm not infringing by sharing a few of them, they were very good to deal with and will crunch the numbers for any boat, and compare it with others, its a wonderful exercise and I'd recommend anyone use them. SA/D 34.39, Bruce # 1.47, BSpd 11.06 kn, PI-C 1.00, Texel 110
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4020185.jpg (123.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 29th June 2011, 09:48 AM

Default Jeffcat 32'

GD
It seems on the picture that your boat is fitted with a beam which is not the case of mine (I only have a wire between the two hulls) . I plan to put one next winter as it is not very easy presently for anchoring. Erik Lerouge is not very favourable but it is probably much more confortable.
When you have the opportunity could you send pictures of it? I am curious to see how it is installed. Thank you in advance.
Old 29th June 2011, 02:15 PM

We are going sailing for the next couple of days and I'll take a few photos of the beam setup and send them. The previous owners also mentioned that Mr. Lerouge was not keen on adding the beam because of additional weight.
Old 10th July 2011, 05:14 PM

Joana, here are a couple of photos of the beam on our Jeffcat, I hope this helps. I'm sure there would be different and probably lighter ways of adding a beam, ours was this way when we bought the boat. I know some of the spar makers sell specifically designed ones. The ladder is for boarding and as a passarelle, it also came with the boat and is being replaced as we don't stern tie here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7020236.jpg (82.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P7020237.jpg (60.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 11th July 2011, 09:53 AM

Default Jeffcat 32'

Good Day,
Many thanks for the pictures. Indeed it looks to be a very strong building.
My idea was to try to get something lighter mainly used for anchoring as I have no genacker yet.