PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Fastcat Owners and Gideon

ForumAdmin
4th October 2008, 03:35 PM
Gideon the owners of the Fastcats boat building business welcome to join this thread and answer any questions relating to Fastcats.

If anyone has any questions about Fastcats then this is all this section of the forum is about so please post your questions.

IreAneY
4th October 2008, 07:03 PM
What is the real true weight of a standard Fastcat 455 with sails, water diesel ie standard boat without the extras etc.
Ian

BigCat
4th October 2008, 11:29 PM
What is the real true weight of a standard Fastcat 455 with sails, water diesel ie standard boat without the extras etc.
Ian

See http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/ about 1/3 of page from top.

Nordic
5th October 2008, 12:02 AM
Is that a trick question?:)

Here are a few possible answers, so Gideon doesn't have to type so much, he can just edit the spelling mistakes...;)

"The next boat will be lighter and faster, as we are now adding helium to the infused foam. As we always build our boats on our spreadsheets instead of scales, we cannot say for sure what they weigh":D

"The boat weighs 6423.27 kgs with all options, but if you do chose extra equipment that are not options, then just add 2.5 tons plus fuel and water, this is of course including the duplex steel anchor rode, and dyneema halyard that are standard on all our boats. The tried and tested Green motion system means you don't need any fuel, as the masttop wind generator will recharge the batteries for free."

"As the owner of the company and co-designer of these boats, I am confident that my customers find it reassuring that I am based in Holland, and the boats are built in Durban, so I can speedily attend to any issues that might arise, and thereby insure that most boats can be delivered within 6 months of the original delivery date, with only a few snags later on."

"As building boats is only a hobby for me, I don't need to make any money from this, so my boats are relatively cheap"

"As we presently are sold out for the next 2 years, with 14 boats to be delivered, we are presently using a new customer selection system, where we qualify customers based on a number of key factors like:

Saling experience especially with high performance catamarans like the Fastcat, we must think about the safety of our customers.
Appearance
Confidence
Ability to handle all the information we supply.
If the customers fulfill our criteria, they might be allowed to sign up for the Fastcat waiting list"

"Regardless of the costs incurred, or the time spent by possible customers in coming to Amsterdam for a test sail, we will not venture out if the wind is above 15 knots, as this is too much wind to really show the full potential of our boats"

"If you require a larger boat, we can offer you a Fastcat 48 demonstrator, yes I know it looks alot like a St. Francis 48, but we took one of their boats and taught them how to build a much lighter and faster boat, by sharing our technology with them."

"By the way we are the exclusive agents for St. Francis in Europe, so if you require such a boat we can of course deliver it for you, but a Fastcat 435 is a much faster boat, and with the new Green motion Sytem we expect a typical VMG for an Atlantic crossing of around 12.3 knots, as we did 10 knots on our boat nr. 0, the prototype Fastcat 435 that weighed 3 tons more. We have verified polars to prove this"

"If you want a smaller boat we can reccomend a Fastcat 30, don't worry about the fact that it looks very much like a Rayvin 30, this boat uses the new patented infusion foam I designed, this together with our Vektor technology makes the boat much lighter and faster. The saloon table and toilets weigh less than 4.237689 kgs each, and the toilet seat is all carbon also."

"Come and sail with me, it's not so far.."

Greetings

IreAneY
5th October 2008, 01:50 PM
Excellent Mr K, well written and too the point, you might get a job offer soon:D:D.
I note that there was not an ounce of sarcasm, I commend you;)
Ian

ForumAdmin
6th October 2008, 12:00 PM
I have to say Alan that that piece had us in stitches of laughter:):):)

I just wish that Gideon would join the forum. If he does I promise I will not allow abuse and I promise he will only be held responsible for his public statement no more.

To date the sad fact is that there is no record of a Fastcat being, well... errr. ...... 'Fast'. If one makes it as far as the arc it will be great to see how it performs - I know that will be hull zero -there is no hull 1. I know that it is claimed to be the first and heavier but it will be interesting.

ForumAdmin
6th October 2008, 08:39 PM
I think I should add that whilst Fastcats may not be fast they do offer unique features and I am sure once sorted will be a fine boat.

Fastcats are not the only boat to claim one weight and be another so its a pity that the claims appeared to get out of hand.

gideon
4th November 2008, 10:07 PM
Gideon the owners of the Fastcats boat building business welcome to join this thread and answer any questions relating to Fastcats.

If anyone has any questions about Fastcats then this is all this section of the forum is about so please post your questions.

Thanks for the invitation Paul

I hope you and your wife are well

Greetings

Gideon

gideon
4th November 2008, 10:09 PM
Ian

Hallo Ian

6500 kilo ready to sail with out fuel or water

Greetings
Gideon

ForumAdmin
4th November 2008, 10:11 PM
Gideon - I am very pleased that you have joined this forum because it allows you to put your side of any story.

Now you are here it is best for me as forum administrator to stay out of any discussions unless you directly address a question to me. I think that would be fair to you.

I left CG forum because of the heavy handed moderation and that can apply both ways.

I repeat, I am pleased you are here.

gideon
4th November 2008, 10:12 PM
Is that a trick question?:)

Here are a few possible answers, so Gideon doesn't have to type so much, he can just edit the spelling mistakes...;)

"The next boat will be lighter and faster, as we are now adding helium to the infused foam. As we always build our boats on our spreadsheets instead of scales, we cannot say for sure what they weigh":D

"The boat weighs 6423.27 kgs with all options, but if you do chose extra equipment that are not options, then just add 2.5 tons plus fuel and water, this is of course including the duplex steel anchor rode, and dyneema halyard that are standard on all our boats. The tried and tested Green motion system means you don't need any fuel, as the masttop wind generator will recharge the batteries for free."

"As the owner of the company and co-designer of these boats, I am confident that my customers find it reassuring that I am based in Holland, and the boats are built in Durban, so I can speedily attend to any issues that might arise, and thereby insure that most boats can be delivered within 6 months of the original delivery date, with only a few snags later on."

"As building boats is only a hobby for me, I don't need to make any money from this, so my boats are relatively cheap"

"As we presently are sold out for the next 2 years, with 14 boats to be delivered, we are presently using a new customer selection system, where we qualify customers based on a number of key factors like:

Saling experience especially with high performance catamarans like the Fastcat, we must think about the safety of our customers.
Appearance
Confidence
Ability to handle all the information we supply.
If the customers fulfill our criteria, they might be allowed to sign up for the Fastcat waiting list"

"Regardless of the costs incurred, or the time spent by possible customers in coming to Amsterdam for a test sail, we will not venture out if the wind is above 15 knots, as this is too much wind to really show the full potential of our boats"

"If you require a larger boat, we can offer you a Fastcat 48 demonstrator, yes I know it looks alot like a St. Francis 48, but we took one of their boats and taught them how to build a much lighter and faster boat, by sharing our technology with them."

"By the way we are the exclusive agents for St. Francis in Europe, so if you require such a boat we can of course deliver it for you, but a Fastcat 435 is a much faster boat, and with the new Green motion Sytem we expect a typical VMG for an Atlantic crossing of around 12.3 knots, as we did 10 knots on our boat nr. 0, the prototype Fastcat 435 that weighed 3 tons more. We have verified polars to prove this"

"If you want a smaller boat we can reccomend a Fastcat 30, don't worry about the fact that it looks very much like a Rayvin 30, this boat uses the new patented infusion foam I designed, this together with our Vektor technology makes the boat much lighter and faster. The saloon table and toilets weigh less than 4.237689 kgs each, and the toilet seat is all carbon also."

"Come and sail with me, it's not so far.."

Greetings

Alan you missed your profession you should become a stand up comedian
I will come and bring the tomatos and rotten eggs so you will not miss out on anything

No more jokes , How is your Bi rig coming along ?

Gideon

gideon
5th November 2008, 01:02 PM
Gideon - I am very pleased that you have joined this forum because it allows you to put your side of any story.

Now you are here it is best for me as forum administrator to stay out of any discussions unless you directly address a question to me. I think that would be fair to you.

I left CG forum because of the heavy handed moderation and that can apply both ways.

I repeat, I am pleased you are here.

Hallo Paul

just for the record , I never had any hand in any type of moderation or have asked for it. I do not believe in moderation unless foul or insulting language is used

Greetings

Gideon

BackonLand
12th November 2010, 08:27 AM
Thank you for the invite. Andreas owner of African Innovation here. A pleasure to be a part of a forum where there is no sniping, moderation or unfair treatment of forum members.
::)

Medcat
22nd March 2011, 03:52 AM
Can you please explain why you seem to be so upset by Gideon Goudsmit and so clearly against Fast Cat. Any personal experience?

downunder
22nd March 2011, 06:17 AM
I think some of the owners had some bad quality issues and had problems resolving them. The link bufferfly and barnakle in earlier post was one.

I would be nervous.

kim s
22nd March 2011, 06:22 AM
uh -ho

heads down boys.

i am a newby here. but please do a search before asking that question.

there are 1 or 2 threads that will answer your question.

Paul has enough on his plate without opening that pig sty door once more.

IreAneY
22nd March 2011, 09:20 PM
Exactly what Kim S has said, just read all the threads about FastCats and search about them and Gideon Goudsmit, plus read in depth the Butterfly and Barnacle blog http://butterflyandbarnacle.wordpress.com/ from the begining.

Be very careful :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Nordic
22nd March 2011, 09:42 PM
Can you please explain why you seem to be so upset by Gideon Goudsmit and so clearly against Fast Cat. Any personal experience?

I have been on board one of the boats, the workmanship was, let's be nice and say, not to a standard one would expect at that price, in fact it was downright shoddy. This goes for the woodwork/trimmings as well as the general electrical as well as piping that I saw.

It's interesting that all the buyers of a fastcat that have gone public to date have been first time buyers of a catamaran. That is why my earlier posting is very much "tongue in cheek".

Gideon Goudsmit "bends the truth" to fit his agenda. Buyer beware. If you do start looking at one of these boats, feel free to PM me. I have a background in marine engineering, and can give you a few pointers:)

Alan

BackonLand
11th May 2011, 03:12 PM
I have been on board one of the boats, the workmanship was, let's be nice and say, not to a standard one would expect at that price, in fact it was downright shoddy. This goes for the woodwork/trimmings as well as the general electrical as well as piping that I saw.
Hey Alan,

Just out of curiosity. Which one were you on?

It's interesting that all the buyers of a fastcat that have gone public to date have been first time buyers of a catamaran.I can only speak for myself, but yes, I was a first time buyer and knowing what I know now (especially after selling the boat) I would do things differently.

- Andreas

Nordic
11th May 2011, 05:33 PM
Hey Alan,

Just out of curiosity. Which one were you on?

I can only speak for myself, but yes, I was a first time buyer and knowing what I know now (especially after selling the boat) I would do things differently.

- Andreas

Hi,
I think it was the one you ended up buying, I was on board at the La Rochelle boat show about 5 years ago.

Great to hear that you had a good trip, and that you have moved on with your life.

Alan

BackonLand
11th May 2011, 05:54 PM
I think it was the one you ended up buying, I was on board at the La Rochelle boat show about 5 years ago.
Then I completely understand and agree with your comment. Out of the FastCats built AI looks the roughest ... This is because she was hull #1 and they were learning the craft on her. There's definitely a number of lessons learned for African Cats from building AI. Having said that, I think any boatbuilder would and should learn heaps from their first boat.

I certainly learned a lot from buying my first cat. When I have saved up enough for a new trip, I'll buy a new cat ... Though as I wrote in a thread on CF: my priorities will be different from the first time around, because now I can buy based on what I know, not on what I had been lead to believe was important.

- Andreas

dmmbruce
11th May 2011, 06:34 PM
Andreas, having read your CF post and what you have said above (welcome back by the way), would you actually aim to get a new boat next time, or would a good second hand one that had been de-snagged be preferable?

Mike

BackonLand
11th May 2011, 06:43 PM
Andreas, having read your CF post and what you have said above (welcome back by the way), would you actually aim to get a new boat next time, or would a good second hand one that had been de-snagged be preferable?
Hey Mike,
Second hand for sure. Getting a new boat, at least to me, isn't worth the premium you pay for it. The thing about buying second hand is that it puts more pressure on you as a buyer, because you need to know what to look for in a boat, so that you don't screw up. If you lack the knoweldge enlist the help of someone you trust ... or a surveyor. I should have done both, but didn't, so I'm definitely guilty of "hindsight being 20/20".