PDA

View Full Version : Why is there not much coverage ?

ronflonflon
5th October 2008, 10:54 AM
Altough most people recognize the qualities of his design, in discussions on the forums and in articles in the sailing magazines his name and his cats are often overlooked.

When my wife and me were looking for a catamaran and after searching the internet for weeks, we only came upon his cats through a personal introduction from another sailor.

Personally, I like the fact that he is not of the commercial type, pushing sales of his boats, but concentrates on the quality and technical details of the construction of his designs. A bit more publicity for his cats would be a good thing IMO, maybe we can push Chris into building and/or designing even more, so more people can enjoy his boats...

Ron

ForumAdmin
5th October 2008, 11:51 AM
In my searching I did not really appreciate the availability of Chris White's boats until the last month.

I think its because he does not fully market his boats and you cannot contract directly with him for the build.

Just this extra step puts a lot off and thats a shame because they are by all accounts great boats.

ronflonflon
5th October 2008, 12:36 PM
Just this extra step puts a lot off and thats a shame because they are by all accounts great boats.

Yes, more should be done by the builders to promote the boat. You can go directly to them, without involving Chris White, although i would not suggest that as the contact with Chris is a unique experience where you can learn a lot about catamarans (and chartermarans).

Ron

Nordic
5th October 2008, 05:25 PM
Chris wrote a great book, in fact it still is a bit of a reference book on multihulls, called "The cruising Multihull". So for the "older" generation of multihullers, he is one of the "gurus"

It seems like there is a basic low level of builds, 2-4 per year as one offs, and in the later years, we have seen a series built by Bongers Marine in Cape Town, and now the A57's by Alwoplast in Chile.

I personally did seriously consider going for one of his boats, and in fact visited Bongers Marine and spoke to Simon Bongers about it. I really like his simple and clear approach to his designs, and they all seem to work well.

To answer your question, I think that Chris, being a technical guy, does not understand the requirements of the market today. Being technical myself, it took me several years to understand that you need to market youself all the time, and repeat your message constantly, as there are always people in the "window of opportunity" who have not heard the message before.

As engineers, we don't like to repeat ourselves, as we are worried that the recipients of the message will think that we underestimate their intelligence, or something to that effect.

Having worked in sales and marketing for many years now, I have undertsood this basic of marketing, repetition is a key thing...

I'm sure that if Chris wanted, he could sell many more boats, or at least keep a consistently higher number of builds going at any given time.

You seldom see one of his boats at a boat show, he doesn't advertise in the magazines, so they don't post his press releases. His website is a traditional factual first generation site....

The real question is; does he want it different to what he has? He might be very comfortable with the present status. Some of the new builds have blogs going, peoplepost on sites like these, so the word is getting spread around more these days anyway...

Please post some more on your build, it must be fairly complete already...

Alan

espiritusanti
30th October 2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Ron! I'm happy to join the discussion and post my blog here which details the construction of the first Alwoplast built A57... To echo some of Ron's opinions, I was extremely happy with the experience, both with Alwoplast and Chris White... the post-delivery service has been incredible as well..

Now that "espiritu santi" is here, i don't have time to post to the blog, so its a bit out of date, but it chronicles the contruction period pretty well.. also i'm ahppy to answer any questions, let me know! Ron - when are you coming down to San Diego for a sail!?!?

Santi

http://espiritusanti.blogspot.com

ronflonflon
31st October 2008, 08:23 AM
Welcome Santi and thanks for joining, increasing the number of chris white cat owners by 100% !

How are you enjoying your boat ? Are you sailing much ?

Ron

TYRNTLZRDKING
7th December 2008, 04:44 PM
Santi,
I love this space. I want to be you.:)

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/4015/57cwbb4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ronflonflon
8th December 2008, 09:21 AM
::)

What are you offering for me to be you then ?

TYRNTLZRDKING
8th December 2008, 01:30 PM
::)

What are you offering for me to be you then ?

Even trade. I become you, and you become me.
I get a new Atlantic 57, you get my Starcraft 16.
Are you married?

imagine2frolic
8th December 2008, 04:12 PM
I keep Chris's book next to my berth. When I found my boat online I immediatley bought Chris's book. I read it in 2 nights, and realized Imagine fit many of the things he wrote about. His book was the reason I bought Imagine, and she has served me well.

After I bought Imagine in St. Maarten I went home to S.F. Ca., and it took me nearly 9 months to be able to return to her for good. I don't know how many times I read the book reassuring myself I made a good buy........:D

tim
21st June 2010, 10:41 PM
"are you married" LOL

ka8uet
23rd June 2010, 03:56 AM
That is indeed a beautiful boat!