PDA

View Full Version : Rope cutters

Yinka
15th March 2009, 08:37 PM
I have just read a review (Yachting Monthly) of different types of rope cutters. The various Scissor cutters performed the best.. with the ability to chomp their way through practically anything except steel wire.

What is the likelihood of your props getting fowled?
Do any of you use cutters... If not, why not. If yes, what do you use?
I was also curious as to why 6 of the 7 cutters reviewed are for shaft drives only. Hmmm.. (?)

Happi days

ForumAdmin
15th March 2009, 09:11 PM
Has anyone any experience of saildrive rope cutters"

imagine2frolic
16th March 2009, 08:44 PM
I have about 10k miles on Imagine. A lot of it in the Florida area. Fish, and crab traps are everywhere. Only once have I caught the prop.

Another time we caught a huge net on a prop in the Tongue of the Ocean. It took hours to cut through it to free the boat......i2f

Yinka
17th March 2009, 02:22 AM
Hi i2f.. I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying you dont bother with a cutter.. it's not a necessary expense..or.. The inconvenience on the rare occassion when your props were fowled make it something you have decided to look into. (?)

Happi days

Yinka
17th March 2009, 02:31 AM
Paul... the only cutter on review that fitted a saildrive was called ' The Stripper' by Ambassador Marine... www.ropestripper.com
It performed very well in all the tests.. only failing on steel wire.

Happi days

majika
17th March 2009, 08:23 AM
we have the stripper on ours.
i can only asume they work verry well as we have never been stoped by a rope.
once got a big bit of plastic that staled one engin.
once we got mored up and put it in nutral it came of by its self and of we went.

Yinka
17th March 2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Majika.. Although you have never used them... do you feel more comfortable knowing that they are there ?

And a question for i2f... You say it took six hours to free your prop. Is it unrealistic to imagine both being fowled.. and the elements about to dump your boat onto something hard and unforgiving. I am curious as to how you would have responded to such a situation ?

(Maybe this is a silly question but as I dont know any better I'll ask it anyway) .. Would there be any sense in having only one prop fitted with a rope cutter.. in case of an emergency ?

Happi days

imagine2frolic
17th March 2009, 09:47 PM
Sorry,

My point being that the stripper would have done nothing with the net. It stopped us cold while motoring about 7 knots. A couple of days later we lost that prop.

As far as a single line going through the stripper. I don't think we generate enough horsepower like a powerboat to really cut through anything significant. JMHO on this matter. The other time we ran over a trap we hadn't even noticed anything. In the morning we were getting ready to leave. I always do a walk around, and checking the props is one on the list. It was tangled, but had not interfered with the engine's performance.

I wouldn't go through the extra expense, but I live on a budget, so I get through life much differently than most.....i2f

majika
18th March 2009, 10:28 AM
Hi Majika.. Although you have never used them... do you feel more comfortable knowing that they are there ?

And a question for i2f... You say it took six hours to free your prop. Is it unrealistic to imagine both being fowled.. and the elements about to dump your boat onto something hard and unforgiving. I am curious as to how you would have responded to such a situation ?

(Maybe this is a silly question but as I dont know any better I'll ask it anyway) .. Would there be any sense in having only one prop fitted with a rope cutter.. in case of an emergency ?

Happi days

you missed the point.
if they are working properly how would i know if i caught a rope?

ForumAdmin
18th March 2009, 11:37 AM
On my previous power boats with rope cutters when you caught an object you would sometimes feel the hesitation and a slight jolt as the props free themselves.

mikereed100
18th March 2009, 04:43 PM
In over 30 years of local cruising amongst a forest of crab and lobster traps the only thing I have ever caught with my prop is my own stern anchor rode. For me, at least, the added expense of rope cutters would not be worth it. At best I would probably lose more stern anchors.

Mike

Capt. Terry
6th September 2010, 05:40 AM
As a young scuba diver, I found many ways to make a few extra bucks doing what I loved. I found myself being hailed to the local marinas at all hours to go under boats, mostly commercial shrimping vessels to cut loose fouled props and rudders from all sorts of nets, ropes, and once, even a 30' x 30' piece of wall to wall carpet, after a hurricane blew through!
I've tried everything, expensive knives, industrial shears, hack saws, etc. The one thing that I found that worked the best everytime were those red plastic handled, serrated knives that can be bought in the fishing tackle section of most places that cater to commercial fishermen. These are cheap ($3.00) single use knives. They come razor sharp, and have a vinyl sheath. I keep them taped to the mast, near winches, and one taped under the swim platform. They will go through nylon and monofiliment nets like butter, and you can saw through 2" ropes in no time. When you start getting down to the last part, and you have to saw against the shaft, bronze prop, or rudder, they will dull quickly, but you can USUALLY handle any situation with one new knife. After finishing a job, I'd alway give the boat owner the dull knife, and tell him to get a few and keep them handy.
In a situaton where someone is hung up, or being dragged under, these knives can save a life, but only if kept nearby. Capt. Terry

heyniceguy
3rd December 2010, 02:51 AM
scuba diving in the marina? hope you had your shots....

:)