PDA

View Full Version : New Outremer 51 for 2013

Sand crab
1st March 2013, 04:19 PM
Outremer stretched the 49. There were reports that the slim hulls of the 49 weren't up to the load carrying capacity so maybe this is a good fix.
http://www.catamaran-outremer.com/en/Outremer-Catamarans/Modele/Outremer-51

JustCatamarans
1st March 2013, 09:24 PM
The 51 is pretty much a longer 49 with coach house and salon having the same style as the 5X.
w
Kent
www.outremerusa.com
http://justcatamarans.net/sales/outremer-51

Ma Bete
4th March 2013, 03:22 PM
Outremer stretched the 49. There were reports that the slim hulls of the 49 weren't up to the load carrying capacity so maybe this is a good fix.
http://www.catamaran-outremer.com/en/Outremer-Catamarans/Modele/Outremer-51
Dear Sand crab,
While I am not privey to the "reports" you mention and to follow up on JustCatamarans reply to your post;
I have sailed on 4-5 different Outremer 49's and we have had others for service and find them to be great boats. None has yet to exhibit the qualities you allude to. The maximum payload between empty and full is 3.9 t. In my opinion this is more than acceptable for a cat with the Outremer 49's sailing and seakeeping abilities. There was no evidence on any of the 49's I sailed that this was an issue. Having said that; there have been many discussions in these pages and in many other web sites discussing how badly many of us overload our cats.
The minor design modification to the Outremer 49 making it the 51 include adding two feet to the swim platform/sugar scoop which will do nothing to harm performance and of course add a bit of load carrying. It is also so that Outremer can integrate the hydrogenerator mounting. The majority of Outremer buyers have requested installation of hydrogenerators and we expect it to enhance the installation and ease of use of this piece of equipment.
Lastly, the design modifications will include some minor "cosmetic" changes to some of the fixed ports and coach roof.
Look forward to continuing exchange of ideas and information. Just Catamarans is Outremer US Service Center and Outremer Dealer.
Best regards,
Stuart

Sand crab
4th March 2013, 04:15 PM
I was referring to posts by others on CF. If you check my posts there then you will see i'm a big Outie fan. I just wish that there was a way to provide weather protection for the helms not that I can afford it. Was it you that said that the boom is a bit low? Still love em though. All of them, the complete lineup, old and new. What is the hull beam to length ratio on the 49 anyway.

Ma Bete
4th March 2013, 06:28 PM
Hi again Sand crab,
I know you are a fan!!! I did not meant to sound difficult, not to you anyway:):). You have a lot more patience than me. I tried a quick search and did not hit so if you can narrow it down for me I'd appreciate it just to satisfy my curiousity. I find lots of opinions from people that come down to "he said, she said, etc, etc.". To much gossip and not enough, or sometimes no, evidence or fact.
Anytime you are in my neighborhood (wherever I am) you are invited for a sail.
Stuart

Ma Bete
4th March 2013, 06:38 PM
Sorry, forgot your answers..... boom might be thought to be low by some. Certainly not high like Lagoon, Leopards, etc. Could be built with boom gooseneck higher if asked for by client. Save $10.00 on sail cloth:):):).
Length 15.27 m, Beam 7.45 m, my calculator is broken (brain too today), math up to you.
Take care,
Stuart:)

rickpalm
22nd July 2014, 01:50 PM
I thought I'd introduce myself Rick Palm a new member of the forum and soon to be owner of Outremer 51 #32. We will pick it up at the factory at the end of August.
The reason for my post is that Outremer is working on a dodger over the steering station that in imho looks quite good. When I was at the factory in late June they had installed one on 51 #30 that did not require the whole boom to be moved up. The back end has been raised to clear the dodger.
As soon as I can figure out posting pictures I'll put two up

svquintana
22nd July 2014, 07:57 PM
I'd be interested to know the hull beam to length ratio as well. Ma Bete seems to have misunderstood your question to mean boat beam to length ratio.

I hope Ma bete has this info, as it's hard to find this ratio on any production cat.

Cheers.
Paul.

smj
22nd July 2014, 11:15 PM
According to multihull dynamics the hull to beam ratio is 11.35.

svquintana
22nd July 2014, 11:58 PM
Thank you.
Paul.