PDA

View Full Version : STORM MANAGEMENT FOR CRUISERS

Maxingout
15th October 2008, 06:04 AM
We used drag devices on board Exit Only several times during our circumnavigation.

Three hundred miles north of New Zealand we laid to a parachute sea anchor in a squash zone, and in the Atlantic Ocean we towed warps to control our speed and maintain a comfortable safe ride.

If you would like to read details of how we dealt with storms at sea on board Exit Only, you can check out the following links:

http://www.maxingout.com/storm_management.htm

http://www.maxingout.com/abbott_drogue.htm

I would be happy to answer any questions about the subjects discussed in these articles.

ForumAdmin
15th October 2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks for joinng and posting.

I for one would like to order the DVD and wondered just how to order it?
If you could post instructions in the reply it would mean that everyone would know how to obtain it.

Your site is already in our links library under Blogs, you may care to add your sites under other headings -you can create sub headings yourself.

Ozmultis
15th October 2008, 12:39 PM
I really enjoy reading your stuff Dave, its sensible and based on real experience. Thanks for sharing it.

Maxingout
16th October 2008, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the positive comments about our web site.

I just learned about this forum a couple of days ago from one of your members. It will be fun and interesting to participate in a forum focused exclusively on multihulls.

The monohull/multihull debate doesn't do anything for me, and a forum like this should allow lively disccussion without the sound and fury of monohullers and multihullers going after each other.

Maxingout
16th October 2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks for joinng and posting.

I for one would like to order the DVD and wondered just how to order it?
If you could post instructions in the reply it would mean that everyone would know how to obtain it.

Your site is already in our links library under Blogs, you may care to add your sites under other headings -you can create sub headings yourself.

Thanks Paul,

The Red Sea Chronicles DVD is coming from the manufacturer in the next week. My son, David, sent me the final cut two week ago, and I was pleased with what he accomplished over the past year and a half of creating this project.

David shot 200 hours of high quality video (Canon XL2) from Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand including the global Tsunami, the Indian Ocean, the Gulf of Aden, the Red Sea, the Med Sea, the Atlantic and the Caribbean.

He took 40 hours of the Red Sea video and edited it into the Red Sea Chronicles. David shot the footage, edited it, did the voiceovers, wrote the music, performed the music, made the animations, made the music videos, and shot the special features. I hope he makes a lot of money on this project because then he can make two more DVDs - one from Australia to the Red Sea, and one from the Med through the Caribbean.

In the next week, Maxingout.com will install links on the website that connect to a Google store and Paypal selling the DVD.

Thanks for your interest in the Red Sea Chronicles. I will make a post when the DVD is ready for shipping.

ForumAdmin
16th October 2008, 05:47 AM
Thanks Dave- I will be ordering one!

I know how much work goes into videos!

The credits at the end are always a problem because its sounds a bit silly when one person does everything ..... in this case down to even writing the music:)

I have now created a section in the 'Links Library' dedicated to multihull videos. Because you have a number of on-line clips I have given you your own Maxing Out section to enter as many links as you wish into.

Anyone else who knows of good videos can post links to the various sections in the Video links library so we all have a permanent easy to find reference to them in the library.

I do have a guest interview facility that allows a guest to join us and any member ask questions of the guest - the problem is arranging the most suitable time to meet the guest because membership is so wide spread across the world.

I am doing my very best to create a relaxed environment where multihullers can hang out and share ideas and experiences and I am grateful to anyone takes the time to email their multihull friends with a link to the site.

Maxingout
17th October 2008, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome.

On my links page, I will also place a link to the multihulls4us forum.

Having a forum dedicated exclusively to multihulls is a great idea. Once the word gets out, it should take off.

Multihulls are coming into their own - Sailors are beginning to understand that multihulls make awesome offshore voyaging yachts that are exceptionally safe when sailed in a sensible manner.

I'm not sure if my wife would have ever sailed around the world with me on a monohull. But when she sailed for the first time on a Privilege 39, she was an instant convert to no bruising cruising. Even during storms at sea, she always felt safe in Exit Only. All I had to do was slow the yacht down so that the motion was comfortable, and we always did fine.

ronflonflon
17th October 2008, 01:34 PM
You have a very informative webpage, which i enjoy a lot.

Apart from the practical experience, the blogs about life at sea (and life in general) are funny and with a lot of important lessons and observations !

Thanks.

Ron

ridders
28th December 2010, 11:17 AM
thanks for sharing your experiences, the website and video clips are both inspirational and entertaining, i'll be enjoying them for a while yet!
paul