PDA

View Full Version : Building at Alwoplast

ronflonflon
16th October 2008, 01:43 PM
Building a boat in the south of Chile seems...... a bit far away !

http://www.alwoplast.cl/

Alwoplast is being run by Alex Wopper, a truly sympatec and capable german guy (no not from the war), who sailed his own boat around the horn and together with his wife found heaven in Valdivia, Chile.

Alwoplast only constructs cats, both sailing and powercats. After having made a lot of lock crowthers design they started building the Chris White cats 2 years ago.

Some pictures of the A57 in built:

The reasons to go there:

The price was 50% from having the boat constructed in the USA
Financial stability of the yard (backed by large national company)
The dedication and skills of the yard workers (although i only found out when i was there visiting)

Here is a pdf of the launch of their first A57:

I will be posting more pics in the future

ronflonflon
21st October 2008, 09:24 PM

attention to detail can be found in these engine exhaust outlet custom made in s.s.

ronflonflon
4th November 2008, 03:29 PM
Progress is quick now as we are in the last 2 months of construction.....

here is a picture of the floor they just put in:

the material of the floor which is Odyssey Original SoleFlooring has been bought here:
http://www.sailcloth.co.uk/

and they have put in the glass of the windows:

I had requested carbon fibre toilets, but the ones from Tecma (x-light) were not available and it does not seem they will start making them any time soon.
So i was happy to hear from Alwoplast that they will be making a mold for carbon toilets themselves, since it seems that the next owners of the A57 want one also.

gideon
4th November 2008, 10:17 PM
Progress is quick now as we are in the last 2 months of construction.....

here is a picture of the floor they just put in:

the material of the floor which is Odyssey Original SoleFlooring has been bought here:
http://www.sailcloth.co.uk/

and they have put in the glass of the windows:

I had requested carbon fibre toilets, but the ones from Tecma (x-light) were not available and it does not seem they will start making them any time soon.
So i was happy to hear from Alwoplast that they will be making a mold for carbon toilets themselves, since it seems that the next owners of the A57 want one also.

Happy and safe sailing with your Atlantic Ron

Gideon

ronflonflon
5th November 2008, 12:12 PM
Thank you Gideon, looking forward to it, be nice to escape the weather and the economy which seem to be in the same state in Holland nowadays.....

gideon
7th November 2008, 06:48 PM
Thank you Gideon, looking forward to it, be nice to escape the weather and the economy which seem to be in the same state in Holland nowadays.....
It looks like it but it seems to be world wide , we are better of sailing
When are you off ?

Greetings

OkinawaCat
8th November 2008, 02:02 AM
How long did it take to get it built? You said 1/2 the cost? At that price you could afford the carbon fibre toilets. I have a friend who maybe interested in this boat. Could you let me know some details? Cost, time etc? How's the performance? My friend was looking for a Chris White design.

Cheers

B

ronflonflon
8th November 2008, 02:33 PM
It takes about 13 months to built an A57 at Alwoplast.

Chris White is the designer, but has his boats built by various builders. Where you build the boat obviously makes a difference in price/quality and building slot. As these ratio changes also because of currency exhange rate differences, it is best to directly inform with Chris about prices and possibilty's where to build. On his website you can find his contact info.

Ron

ronflonflon
4th December 2008, 07:02 PM
some more pictures of the almost finished boat.....

TYRNTLZRDKING
4th December 2008, 09:53 PM
Ron,

Looks to be a fantastic boat!
Is the Atlantic 57 the same as the A55 with two foot longer hulls?
I see the 57 comes with shaft-drives. Did the 55 have that option?
Was the rear deck the same on the 55?

Congrats.

jkd
4th December 2008, 10:03 PM
They certainly seem to have a very good reputation from all I have read.

Love the Cris White boats. I have always been curious about the forward door. Why the Atlantic and the Gunboat doors don't open to the side instead of fore-aft. I know it would eat up alittle more floor space or cut out the nav table etc but it should keep the spray from the salon a bit better.
I guess I just hate doing floors. :D

Good luck. It sure looks good so far.

John

TYRNTLZRDKING
5th December 2008, 02:46 AM
How long did it take to get it built? You said 1/2 the cost? At that price you could afford the carbon fibre toilets. I have a friend who maybe interested in this boat. Could you let me know some details? Cost...

"Cost varies depending on options but $1.4m is the general size of it".
:eek:

ronflonflon
5th December 2008, 09:37 AM
Ron,

Looks to be a fantastic boat!
Is the Atlantic 57 the same as the A55 with two foot longer hulls?
I see the 57 comes with shaft-drives. Did the 55 have that option?
Was the rear deck the same on the 55?

Congrats.

Yes the atlantic 57 is the same as the 55 but with 2 feet longer hulls and some other improvements based on Chris White's own experience on his 55.

The 55 also have sail drives.

The rear deck on the A57 has benches.

Ron

TYRNTLZRDKING
6th December 2008, 10:44 PM
My choice would be shaft-drive. I don't think the smaller boats offered this option.
If the A48 had the shaft drive option at about $700,000 cheaper, this would be my dream boat.

$700,000 is a lot of money for seven feet (plus 2' hull extension) additional length.

ronflonflon
8th December 2008, 09:24 AM
I think the price for the A48 is without mast, sails and electronics, whereas the mentioned price for the A57 is all included.

However I agree with you that the price/size of the A48 is very interesting indeed.

I don't know about the possibility of a shaft drive in the 48, i will ask Chris White.

TYRNTLZRDKING
8th December 2008, 01:56 PM
I think the price for the A48 is without mast, sails and electronics, whereas the mentioned price for the A57 is all included.

Factory gave me a current price of $725,000 USD. No specifics on what was included. Yachtworld shows a price of $750,000 as of October, very well equiped.

(Chris gave me a ballpark figure of 1.4 million for an A57).

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009/Chris-White-Designs-ATLANTIC-48-1391492/South-Africa

With these numbers. The A48 seems like a bargain.
Now if I could just hit the lotto tomorrow, my order will go in on Wednesday.:)

ronflonflon
11th January 2009, 11:54 AM
some more pictures of the almost finished boat. Waiting for the mast and forebeam to be delivered by truck from Buenos Aires to Valdivia....

We are leaving this week To Santaigo de Chile and drive down to Alwoplast for delivery.....

Ron

mikereed100
11th January 2009, 03:20 PM
Absolutely beautifull Ron! From here it looks like a stunning level of finish and, speaking as a former "yacht carpenter" the craftsmanship is enviable. Is your boat listed in the "beautufull catamarans" thread yet? You must be getting very exited as launch day nears.

Mike

IreAneY
11th January 2009, 04:49 PM
Absolutely beautifull Ron! From here it looks like a stunning level of finish and, speaking as a former "yacht carpenter" the craftsmanship is enviable. Is your boat listed in the "beautufull catamarans" thread yet? You must be getting very exited as launch day nears.

Mike

I can only agree with Mike's comments, the finish looks fantastic, this is always my concern should I have a cat built for me is that the finish would not be to the high standard I would expect and therefore research into a good quality builder is so very important.:)

ronflonflon
11th January 2009, 05:28 PM
I can only agree with Mike's comments, the finish looks fantastic, this is always my concern should I have a cat built for me is that the finish would not be to the high standard I would expect and therefore research into a good quality builder is so very important.:)

Thanks ! I will pass on the compliments to the people at Alwoplast.

Ron

IreAneY
11th January 2009, 05:50 PM
Hi Ron
A question I don't really like asking as it involves money, but I have seen the prices banded around in earlier posts for your A57, but have you any idea how much they charge for labour per hour in $USD, purely as a matter of interest as I am trying to compare the costs of building a semi-custom cat in SA or using someone like Alwoplast, and having seen the quality and attention to detail of their building it would be worth considering a yard like them.
Also are they able to source kit etc a lot cheaper than if you as a consumer was to buy it and if so do they pass on a good discount with of course a little bit of profit for themselves.
Thanks
Ian

ronflonflon
11th January 2009, 07:03 PM
Hi Ian,

I do not know the latest labour prices, but do know the price/quality ratio is excellent. I will PM you the email of the owner of the yard, so you can ask for the latest prices.

They will pass on all discounts directly to you.
Hope this helps,

ron

IreAneY
11th January 2009, 07:49 PM
Ron

Thank you.

Ian