Thread: Whats a PROA?

Hybrid View

Default Whats a PROA?

The VIDEO below answers that the way we see it....
    Keep Shunting, Balkan Shipyards.

https://youtu.be/nX7r2McgAMk

Default Re: Whats a PROA?

Proas have been going for over a thousand years. The problem as to how to shunt efficiently and reasonably effortlessly must have been solved long ago and in ways that involved only simple materials that were available at the time. All this must be known and recorded somewhere. It shouldn't be necessary to discover it all over again by trial and error. So why has the idea not caught on and become popular. I can only remember seeing one, and that was pretty ramshackle, or so it seemed.

It seems strange to me that you are having to reinvent so much of all this. Its fascinating but surely some of it could be made much easier for you.

Anyway, good luck with the new one.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

I agree that Proas evolved to become fine sailing machines that shocked, the first western sailors that came to the Pacific.
    Though I will disagree that shunting was very simple, The tack of the Crab Claw was carried the full length of the boat, then somehow lashed onto that fine bow, while the helmsman carried the rudder over to the new stern, the sheet was relocated and only then the boat could take off again. I would be too scared to go to the bow here in a rough sea state....

Mike, it's been a hard climb you know. it took 3 Proa builds, endless experimenting to arrive to where I'm at. My 3rd Proa is the safest boat I've sailed! at only 15 foot he will take on a Force 6 like a walk in the park. Shunting is pulling on a rope, it takes 2-3 seconds (the sail goes over and he starts sailing himself on a close/beam reach, say 70 degrees to the wind, now I have all the time in the world to move the steering oar aft....) . I can sail him single handed all day long, reefing takes seconds, the LaSHuNK works flawlessly.

I can keep sailing back winded and gybe back to Pacific style, Crab Claws once back winded stop, or even sail slowly backwards, a big problem, calling for dowsing the sail and, turning the boat around with the oar. The biggest problem is they cant be reefed only depowered.....A depowered Crab Claw can't sail to windward. A reefed cambered modern Junk can.

It boils down to sailing grounds, here winds where described by other sailors as "all or nothing" drifting down wind in a near gale is not always an option. The vast Pacific is the opposite, drifting downwind bare poles is fine, when it blows it's the same, 1 size sail is perfect.......

I have combined the safest cruising sail with the simplest multihull form, it's not as if I've invented the wheel......
    The boat works well, I hope the new one will be as easy and safe to sail.

Keep Shunting Mike,
    All the best
    Rael

Sorry Rael, I was guilty of muddled thinking. I was getting lost somewhere between Proa hulls, Crab claws and Junk sails.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. It all sounds good.

Cheers for now :-)

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.