Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fastcat 605

Default Fastcat 605

From the latest Multihulls Magazine...

FASTCAT 605 GREEN MOTION: THE GREEN CAT...

It is now being built at Durban in South Africa, and you can be sure that the latest from the Africa cats range will get people talking. The builder is adver- tising an unladen displacement of just 13,000kg for this 60-foot boat, and even 11,500kg for the carbon version. An achievement which will not be the only one on this resolutely ecological cruising boat, as it will also be propelled by an elec- tric motor supplied by lithium-ion batteries, recharged by the solar panels, the wind generator, or the hydrogenerator. For the worriers, the builder will also provide a generator as an option... But with a 134m2 mainsail, and a 210m2 gennaker, for 13 tonnes, the motors will not be needed often!

We will keep you informed once we have been able to test this machine.

FastCat 605 Green Motion : length: 18.34 m - beam: 9.45 m - draft: 1.50 / 2.30 m mast height: 27.60 m - displacement 13 tonnes mainsail: 134.6 m2 - jib: 70 m2 - genoa: 98.5 m2 - gennaker : 210 m2 - motors:
    2 x 18 kW - architect: Simonis Voogd.

Default Re: Fastcat 605

Boring , heard it all before and still the weights did not come near what was promised and as far as the Green Motion is concerned, I still do not think he has a running version or overcome all the gremlins - we shall see

What do we call someone who orders a 60ft cat with an unproven engine system and from a company with apparently a poor reputation for service support
    other than rich bastard
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

An optimist?

Quote Originally Posted by ka8uet View Post
    An optimist?
    Hah

Incredibly stupid or a
    CF moderator/Gidders Lover

How come I can only add two tags to this thread and 5 to others?

Please ensure that all African Cats/Fastcat/Gideon Goudsmidt threads are appropriately tagged. Go to the bottom of the page and click on edit tags, and add them there.

This will help any search engines looking at this site.

Alan

It is now being built...We will keep you informed once we have been able to test this machine.
    Any odds makers to provide the launch date over/under? Test it? Oh please do - preferably after the owner has lived with it a few months. We should be able to come up with many nice builder statements to put to the test. And please do weigh it. I'll take the over on that...
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.

-Albert Einstein

An achievement which will not be the only one on this resolutely ecological cruising boat, as it will also be propelled by an elec- tric motor supplied by lithium-ion batteries, recharged by the solar panels, the wind generator, or the hydrogenerator. For the worriers, the builder will also provide a generator as an option...
    Somebody tell me if my math is wrong. Since we are talking DC systems, I'm going to use KW and KVA equivalent as V*A=W, and ignore efficiency losses and Peukart's Law. The data below is taken from various threads, and I believe it represents the latest claims and published data.

• 3 hours of motoring time is claimed. The motors are supposed to use 10-25KW. Let's be the most generous, and use the 10000W figure, and let's assume we run at 75% power with two motors, so 15000W. So after three hours, that's 45000WH.
    • So let's say this is a model without a diesel generator.
    • Let's ignore wind and water generation for the moment, and just focus on solar - how many solar panels would it take to generate 45000WH?
    • One of the biggest available panels is the Kyocera 210 Watt panel. Let's again be generous and say we get the full output of the array for a full 7 hours (very much a generous figure). That's 1470WH per day per panel.
    • 45000 / 1470 = 30.6.
    • So, in order to recharge 3 hours worth of usage in 24 hours, it would take 30.6 solar panels.
    • Now lets put up a couple of wind generators. The Air-X specs are for 100 watts in 15MPH winds. Let's again be generous and say we get 24 hours of wind averaging 15MPH. That's 2400WH per generator, 4800WH for both. That brings our 45000WH down to 42600WH left over.
    • Now lets throw in hydrogenerators. Things get a bit iffier here, but I found a thread about a Lagoon 420 hybrid where they saw 864W per shaft at 8knots. Let's figure on a 6knot average, which is 648WH per shaft for 24 hours with two shafts is 31104WH, again under perfect conditions. Hey this is really great, bringing our 45000WH down to 13896WH.
    • At 13896WH we now "only" need 9.5 of our solar panels to make up the surplus energy requirements to motor 3 hours in a 24 hour period under fairly ideal conditions being under constant motion of 6knots with a 15MPH apparant wind with a system that's perfectly efficient with no losses.

Again, I probably screwed up the math, and please feel free to correct my figures above, but assuming it's right, and all things are even, want to bet anyone would consider NOT getting a generator?

We're at 10 solar panels before we've considered anything but electricity for propulsion - we still need power for refrigeration, lights, nav gear, etc.

Sorry but the math just doesn't work out for me, and in the real world with system losses and non-ideal conditions we probably need to make up somewhere on the order of double this amount. Where are you going to mount 10 of these big panels on a 60' cat - much less 20 of them!
    Last edited by scotte; 22nd September 2009 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotte View Post
    Where are you going to mount 10 of these big panels on a 60' cat - much less 20 of them!
    Towed array.

Every motha friggen chance he sees to inject his marketing bs, he takes. When are the cf IDIOTS going to enforce their own, blatantly clear rules, upon this lying, crooked, full of shit builder?
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by KGP View Post
    Every motha friggen chance he sees to inject his marketing bs, he takes. When are the cf IDIOTS going to enforce their own, blatantly clear rules, upon this lying, crooked, full of shit builder?
    Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think

You may possibly have a point :

Anyone who buys a boat and does not do their due diligence on problems with that boat/builder/design deserves what they get.

Anyone who does do due diligence should end up on here or on one of the blogs and realise the problems that have been discovered. Incompetence, poor building practices, blatant falsehoods etc need to be exposed regardless of who the builder knows.

And again the marketing interjection, clearly against the cf rules, (rules for which others have been repeatedly slapped): "sailing is all about safety, first we have a bow that can be damaged with out worry..., we standard build 2 crash bulkheads..." "In the stern's we have a crash bulkhead 800 mm from the stern s... we have a closed flotation chamber ...
    Besides that
    we have ... and we use Divinycell foam...
    We use no more inboard engines so no hull penetrations there just outboard Green Motion electric drives."

We we we we we we, cried all the way home and into a proverbial hole, away from our owner (few owners, that is) warranty claims...
    Last edited by KGP; 24th February 2010 at 08:02 AM.

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think
    I feel damn sorry for whoever contracted this buffoon to build their dream ship. But don't feel a bit bad about whatever negativity come about for Andy R and his band of CF nazi youth's.

-Albert Einstein

I reported the post, as it is in clear violation of the rules at CF:

Commercial vendors may not use any section of the forum except the Vendors Forum to discuss their products or services unless answering a direct question and even in this case vendors may not quote prices (unless in Vendors Forums).

I reported the post, as it is in clear violation of the rules at CF:
    What - Gidders breaking the rules and it being ignored - surely not

I reported the post...
    Did you ask them to remove his hundreds of similar posts? They don't give a rats ass about gidders breaking their rules! But don't dare post a link to this forum over there!

-Albert Einstein

Believe me, I know all that - but it won't stop me from trying. I've had at least a half-dozen posts removed for discussing FastCat, supposedly because other people reported my posts - so I figure I can play that game too, even though it's pointless...

I think he runs that forum. I was reading some more of his comments about his boat yesterday. Alice in Wonderland has nothing on this guy! When he was asked for pictures he came back with some CAD diagrams. He says he's building this boat for himself. I sure hope so, so that no one else has to put up with what his two previous buyers have suffered!

How is the build of the Fastcat 605 coming along, do you have any updated pictures for us?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast