Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simply disgusting customer support?

Default Simply disgusting customer support?

Calling
    Gideon Goudsmit of Fastcat African Cat

I know you seem to think that you can get away with the selective customer support whereby you support the customer who does not tell it as it is and simply blank the customer who is honest and open.

This why I am sure you will be able to day that its the customer's fault - that door fell off not because of deplorable workmanship and design but because they abused it. They are unreasonable because they question you and so the latest on the Barnacle & Butterfly blog is that you do not respond to any emails even on things that have already been accepted by yourself as your liability!!!

You told me about producing many boats per year but Butterfly & Barnacle hull number 4 was ready almost a year late and how many more boats followed it? Answer: NONE.

For all the huff an puff so far your record boat sales in terms of quality, quantity and after sales support has been deplorable.

Anyone who even thinks about a Gideon Goudsmit Fastcat from African Cat
    should read all the threads in this Fastcat Catamaran forum.

IMHO you bring shame to the reputation of boat builders and should be totally ashamed of yourself - however I am aware that you are not because you live in an unreal world of total make believe and leave a trail of victims scattered around you.

I intend to ensure that every potential customer know the truth about your record so that they can decide if they wish to hand over money to you.

This campaign has only just begun and it will not stop until you treat the owners of hull number 4 with some respect and fairness.

It will not go away - it will grow.
    My aim is to achieve justice for Dick and Karen not to ruin you. In not providing that fairness and justice you may well ruin yourself .... its your call.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Default Re: Simply disgusting customer support, African Cats.

Paul,

when you are in Capetown, please get in touch with SABBEX, the SA boat export council, and ask them if they think that Gideon Goudsmit of African Cats who builds Fastcats as a hobby, is still deemed to be a worthy member. His sad attempts at building boats have been disasters for the poor customers, all 3 of them at that.

This guy is as bad if not worse than the outfit that built Bumfuzzle. Maybe Gideon Goudsmit needs to look at what that blog did to that company.

What Gideon does not understand is that all the lies he has posted, and all the facts his unhappy customers have posted will be floating around on the internet forever. This will damage the resale value of the Fastcat catamarans for many years to come.

The damage he is doing to the more reputable catamaran builders in South Africa is irreparable. The arrogant Mr. Gideon Goudsmit claimed that he invited a number of SA builders over to his yard, so he could teach them how to build modern boats.

This from a guy with zero boatbuilding experience. Gideon maybe you should have stayed with selling cars instead of playing at building boats, and attempting to rewrite the laws of Physics.

When can Butterfly expect to have their warranty issues dealt with in an honourable manner by African Cats?

Alan

Default Re: Simply disgusting customer support?

I don't think that Gideon Goudsmit of Fastcat African Cat is a member of SABBEX, as I can't find his company mentioned among the members on this page. Was he ever a member?

Thomas

The South African Boatbuilders Export Council (SABBEX) realised the importance of sound ethics and good business practices, and subsequently requested proposals for the development of an Industry Code of Conduct for the South African boatbuilding industry. The purpose of the Code of Conduct is to have an instrument to ensure that minimum standards within the industry are adhered to with respect to quality, warranties, business ethics, customer service, etc
    I wonder why African cats and Gideon Goudsmit of Fastcat African Cat is not is not listed as a member in any form. Could it possibly have anything to do with SABBEX Code of Conduct ??

Thomas

Interesting...

I assume that fastcat435 on Cruiser Forums is the same Gideon you're talking about here?

I've been following a thread over there on electric propulsion. Gideon's contributions start to get interesting on page 11 where I began to realise some of the claims being made didn't seem to be backed up by credible test results - it's more like sales talk.

In another similar thread he made a statement, which I read at the time, that if the performance outcome of the hybrid electric drives (being?) fitted to four(?) customers boats wasn't satisfactory, he would repower their boats with diesel engines at his own expense. However, his post then disappeared, and someone picked up on it here (post #96 by Dedzaboy). Then read posts #106, #107 and #108 and form your own conclusions!

I would love to see a viable hybrid electric solution but so far I'm very sceptical of some of the sales talk I'm hearing, and from other bits I'm picking up on (like this thread) it seems that Fastcat customers aren't being treated too well if/when they complain. Not good is it!

It is not good at all.
    On this very forum Gideon denied evet claiming he advertised the St Francis 48 as a Fastcat 48 - he had changed his web page BUT someone had kept a copy and proved he was not telling the truth but that changing of history and disappearing information has gone on since the beginning - he claimed a 10 knot average speed across the Atlantic but his own log showed just 6 or so knots so the log was removed from the site and he claims he does not know how!!!!

At every stage the information put out is just a fabrication without substance - if facts and history get in the way he changes them!!

All this pain caused to others and only 2.5 boats actually sold but more models appearing by the week ..... utter, utter rubbish.

He does have at least 2 customers waiting and I feel sorry for them.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
    here (post #96 by Dedzaboy). Then read posts #106, #107 and #108 and form your own conclusions!

!
    Hehe.

And who is this SteveC guy.

He sounds like me when I first started seriously looking for a cat - When I had the money that is.

Quote Originally Posted by taifun View Post
    I don't think that Gideon Goudsmit of Fastcat African Cat is a member of SABBEX, as I can't find his company mentioned among the members on the CF page. Was he ever a member?
    Hmmm, I know in the past he has touted that he was a member:
    And the link that he provided in that CF thread still pulls up his information as though he is a member. But when you try to find the company using the directory he doesn't show up.

Read down a few posts to Nordic's reply in that CF thread.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.

-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by KGP View Post

Read down a few posts to Nordic's reply in that CF thread.
    I went ahead and read the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    I went ahead and read the whole thing.
    Yea, definitely worth reading it all. Some interesting quotes from Giddy in there. Oddly, in spite of the claim that "the next available slot will be ready in the middle of 2010" those Fastcat banners are still working hard on CF. I guess he's attracting hobby watchers, or perhaps he's booking for 2011+ slots now.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.

-Albert Einstein

It's a load of bullshit, he has not even launched hull #5, which he should have been launched about 8 months ago so how the hell is he going to launch hull #20 by the middle of 2010 that means he will have to build 15 boats in 10 months :

OR

do the dutch have a totally different numbering system to the rest of the world ie. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 20.

So what is SABBEX anyway?

I guess if the words on their web mean anything, they should be looking over how the builders customers are treated...

Snippets from various pages:

Quote Originally Posted by SABBEX Website
    Use its best endeavours to attain an in depth knowledge of its members, particularly with respect to their resources, facilities, and capabilities, to best be able to fulfil its objectives;

When purchasing a boat from a South African manufacturer we advise you to contact the SABBEX staff and ensure that you only deal with SABBEX members. We cannot vouch for companies who are not members.

The South African Boatbuilders Export Council (SABBEX) realised the importance of sound ethics and good business practices, and subsequently requested proposals for the development of an Industry Code of Conduct for the South African boatbuilding industry. The purpose of the Code of Conduct is to have an instrument to ensure that minimum standards within the industry are adhered to with respect to quality, warranties, business ethics, customer service, etc. The Code of Conduct, to be administered by the SABBEX, was written by Dr. Brian Gowans and funded by the Department of Trade and Industry.

Accreditation:
    The status of Accreditation will be shown in South African Boat Building Council’s brochures and web-site, and can be used by the accredited companies in their sales literature.

The South African Boat Building Council is frequently approached for opinion of companies by purchasers. Ethically they cannot make any positive or adverse comment when they have no yardstick. This reflects badly on them, and hence the South African Industry, to such customers.

However in the event of a company being accredited, the South African Boat Building Council can respond that company “X” has been accredited by them and meets the national standards of their Code of Conduct, or is in process of attaining it. This will give credibility to that company and the Council.

An answer that the company is “not accredited” by the national Code of Conduct would clearly be seen as a neutral comment by any potential customer who would then make any decisions at their own risk.

Some companies will not think it necessary or worth it. They should however be aware that in an increasingly complex information age, purchasers look for such measurers of company stability, in addition to cost and quality, before they make investment decisions.
    We know that he was once a member. That much is certain as the link he posted in the past still can be pulled up by clicking on it. He is also listed in their PDF document (available here) as a full member. But now, if you view their membership list online he is nowhere to be found. They dropped him? Web glitch? He didn't have the money to maintain membership? Wasn't worth it?

-Albert Einstein

Amazing how fast Google can rank a forums thread key words these days (SABBEX).

South African Boat Builders Export Council, aka SABBEX.
    The tags seem to be working well too. Noticed that the SABBEX tag in this thread showed up very high (first on page two) as a search result of the term "SABBEX."

Probably interesting for consumers who might be considering buying, purchasing of having a boat (catamaran) built by a South African boat builder. I would think any buyer would call, write or consult with SABBEX to find out if a builder is still a member, might have lost their membership some way, or have had other types of problems with the yacht / catamaran marketplace.

Does anyone recall a thread on CF where the title was "Have African Cats lost their SABBEX accreditation"? The thread link showed up very high on a "SABBEX" search, but when clicking on the link I was returned a CF page that said "you do not have permission to access this page." Wonder what gives with that? The mods tossed it into the circular forum?

-Albert Einstein

Ouch,

All this makes me, and doubtless others, very vary of any South African builders.

What a powerful tool this Forum is.

Does anyone recall a thread on CF where the title was "Have African Cats lost their SABBEX accreditation"? The thread link showed up very high on a "SABBEX" search, but when clicking on the link I was returned a CF page that said "you do not have permission to access this page." Wonder what gives with that? The mods tossed it into the circular forum?

I found exactly the same, I did not have permission , also what still confuses me is that if you clicked on the link that Gidders gave his details came up as a member, but when you went directly into the SABBEX web site and looked at their members he is not listed , so how does that work what is the explanation,
    The links I used were in post #8 of this thread posted by KGP.

On the boat, right now Costa Rica, Golfito

I can't find that thread now. hummmmmm I wonder where it went?......i2f

Quote Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
    ...what still confuses me is that if you clicked on the link that Gidders gave his details came up as a member, but when you went directly into the SABBEX web site and looked at their members he is not listed , so how does that work what is the explanation...
    Gidders was a member at one time, and thus they made a page for him. When he quit, was revoked, whatever, they simply removed the link to his page but did not remove the page entirely. Thus the link posted some time ago on CF still works. Quite simple to explain.

-Albert Einstein

Gidders was a member at one time, and thus they made a page for him. When he quit, was revoked, whatever, they simply removed the link to his page but did not remove the page entirely. Thus the link posted some time ago on CF still works. Quite simple to explain.
    Gene
    Thanks kindly for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor and Jo View Post
    Ouch,

All this makes me, and doubtless others, very vary of any South African builders.

What a powerful tool this Forum is.
    Wary of any South African builders? Perhaps when some of those builders who are listed as SABBEX members start belching out unbelievable claims, false marketing, and where them not standing behind their few produced products become prevalent, then perhaps. But haven't seen that yet from Gunboat, Matrix, St. Francis, etc...

Yes, hope the forum is powerful enough to have righted what is wrong. Certainly don't want to cause it to steer away folks from all SABBEX member builders though.

-Albert Einstein

Default African Cats lose SABBEX accreditation due to poor quality?

The thread I started in the vendors forum on CF was deleted because as a non vendor, one is not allowed to start threads in the vendors forum. I was unaware of this rule, so I think it is of course OK to remove it.

I have asked that it be moved to the multihull section, as it is most relevant there.

That is why you can no longer find the thread on CF. Please do not turn this thread into a CF bashing thread, let's stick to the facts about African Fastcats no longer being an accredited member of SABBEX.

Either he hasn't paid his membership dues on time, or else Gideon Goudsmit of African Cats, has been kicked out for bringing SABBEX members and other boat builders in South Africa into the negative spotlight and disrepute.

I know that SABBEX has received several complaints about African Cats, as well as the behaviour of the owner Mr. Gideon Goudsmit. It has been well documented in the blogs of both Fastcats that have been sold as new, in fact the only 2 Fastcats that have been sold and delivered directly to their owners.

SABBEX know of these blogs, as there are several SABBEX members who follow them with dismay.

The fact that Gideon Goudsmit and his wife have attempted to shut up their critics, using the threat of suing their clients and critics, and other bullying techniques, has not improved their standing among other builders, who try and make an honest living, supplying good quality boats and services in South Africa.

The fact that African Cats, builders of the Fastcat 435 and the Fastcat 445, no longer are accredited members of SABBEX has implications far beyond what one might think. As in all these kind of organisations, once you are approved as a member, it takes massive complaints that need to be verified before you get expelled.

The enormous number of major quality issues and defects on both the Fastcats delivered to date, and the fact that African Cats does not seem to honour valid warranty issues that have been ongoing for not just weeks, but dragging into over a year, are becoming a major liability for the South African Boatbuilding industry.

This is an industry that has major focus from the government, as the industry employs and creates many skilled and semi skilled jobs, and is a major earner of foreign currency. SABBEX is sponsored by the government, so a foreign national endangering local jobs is not going to be popular.

Alan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast