Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How should Maverick Yachts be positioning themselves

Default How should Maverick Yachts be positioning themselves

Reading through some other threads on this forum I see many tales of woe. People who are not happy with either the customer service or the finishes / equipment / performance of their boats. Certain South African Yards come in for more than their fair share of flack.

Maverick Yachts on the other hand, having built 6 boats in 18 months have 6 very happy customers. This has everything to do with the ethics of the builder and in particular Rudi and Deslynn Pretorius' attitude. They appear to be in for the long-haul and are rapidly building a reputation for quality and honesty.

Here's the thing

There is nothing wrong with building a cat to a tight budget
    As long as the boat is sea-worthy, the owners get what is in the contract and there are no hidden costs; there will always be room for a floating Toyota (tough, business-like) or a Tata (basic, no-frills, made with the cheapest materials).
    Boats like this allow people to experience sailing and upgrade when funds and experience allow. These are like your first car as a student, they are often bought second-hand (but safer to buy new). Yards building budget boats have to play the numbers game and keep the production-line full, they do not allow customisation.

All cats are not created equal
    For any given LOA, one cat can have twice the volume of another. Volume is a cubic function (length x breadth x height) and is further influenced by the 'bulk factor', hull-overhangs, covered deck-area, coachroof size, hull-width etc. So for example small 40' cat: 12 x 6 x 2.6 x bulk-factor of 0.6 - Volume of 112 cubic meters. Big 40' cat: 12 x 7.5 x 3.1 x BF of .8 - Volume of 223 cubic meters.
    At the more luxury-end of the market, yards allow limited customisation, but this usually entails very expensive customisation teams who interrupt the production line and remove boats to their own section of the factory.
    The level and quality of equipment also varies mightily, for example a minimal stainless-steel outfit mass-produced in Vietnam out of inferior-grade steel may cost a quarter of a full-spec set in high-grade 316 Stainless.

At present the Maverick has a three-fold disadvantage in the market:

The boat is BIG
    At least double the volume of the smaller 38-40 footers, Rudi has squeezed a 44 footer into the smallest length possible. The main advantages are: the boat is more maneuverable in tight spaces and can be handled with smaller crews (although the beam is an issue) and, radically reduced mooring and haul-out fees (a major cost over the life of the boat). Other advantages over similar length cats are: huge water and fuel capacity, big lockers, wide berths, accessible engines, good load-carrying and so on... Also let's not forget a sphere has the highest volume to surface area (read cost! weight!), the toothpick one of the lowest.

This cat is more equal than most
    The finishes achieved are exceptional. You cannot see a single GRP joint anywhere on the boat; the entire inside is hand-faired and painted; the standard boat includes a ton of stuff that would normally be on the option list; only the best materials are used; so far every boat has been customised

It is early days for a recognisable brand
    In time the Maverick will become accepted as a 'Rolls Royce' among cats, but this takes time. Rudi is currently relying very-much on word of mouth to sell the boats. He cannot afford to give big sales-commissions until he can push his base-price up. He cannot do this until word spreads about how much boat you get for your money with the Maverick.

In the meantime Maverick Yachts are competing in the same price bracket as 'small Toyotas'. And 100% of their customers are happy.

Hats-off to Rudi and his team.

Default Re: How should Maverick Yachts be positioning themselves

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    The boat is BIG
    At least double the volume of the smaller 38-40 footers, Rudi has squeezed a 44 footer into the smallest length possible. The main advantages are: the boat is more maneuverable in tight spaces and can be handled with smaller crews (although the beam is an issue) and, radically reduced mooring and haul-out fees (a major cost over the life of the boat). Other advantages over similar length cats are: huge water and fuel capacity, big lockers, wide berths, accessible engines, good load-carrying and so on... Also let's not forget a sphere has the highest volume to surface area (read cost! weight!), the toothpick one of the lowest.

It is nice to hear of a manufacturer taking so much trouble, building a quality boat, and I take my hat off to Rudi.

But to me the boat is a condomaran, as stated above it has huge volumes and it looks like it does, IMO not a pretty looking boat at all, ideal for the charter market where you want to squeeze in as many people as possible with big beds and lots of fridge space.

Yet I am sure that all the 6 owners are delighted with their choice and spent a lot of research before buying their second homes.

It is spacious, which makes it comfortable for cruising and liked by the family. I do not think that is a negative. What would be a negative is if it sailed horribly and was very slow and needed at least 15 knots to get it going. For me that is the winner, she sails beautifully, even in light wind and is very quick for a 40 ft cat. I can have 20 people onboard and it is not remotely crowded. We were out on Saturday and were doing an easy constant 10.5 to 12.9kts in a 16 to 18kt apparent wind at about 90deg. The look is different, but it is hard to appreciate in photo's, she looks much better in the flesh. Then you appreciate the much sleeker profile, to me so many "spacious" cats that have the windage of a block of flats! This is a link to a video I took of Catarina sailing upwind on Saturday.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkWED26KDik

The boat IS big! . . . . but I would not describe it as a “condomaran”. I had the opportunity to have a bit of a snoop around Cosmoledo in the Elliot Basin (Cape Town) last week and was presently surprised. Her lines are definitely a break from tradition but, unlike other “condomarans” and charter specific cats I have been on, this is an exceptionally well designed and thought-out boat, built light for comfortable and fast sailing. And no, it does not have all the “toys” I have seen on other “condomarans” – and definitely not the weight.

Now, just have to convince Cosmo to let me have a bit of a sail in her to put her through her paces. Want to join me Ian?

The question was about how Maverick Yachts position themselves. Rudi needs to get one of his boats to be presented at a few of the big Northern Hemisphere boat shows. Only then will you be able to truly answer the question. Potential buyers want to see for themselves the quality of design, build, workmanship and all the other small things that make up a quality product – on their doorstep and not have to travel half way around the world to do this. He also has to stand by his product and ensure that when something goes wrong, he will put every effort into rectifying the problem and maintain a happy client.

John

I can't fault the interior at all. Very impressive in a 40' cat. Similarly, the performance cannot be faulted, it seems. The exterior is OK, apart from the side views which don't do anything for me at all. The large side windows are not the most attractive I've seen. Would this stop me buying one? Not sure. There are a lot of other things going for this boat and beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I wouldn't question anyone's sanity for signing on the dotted line.

I think Maverick have an excellent product there, backed up by someone who, it seems, knows how to treat his customers. That makes a refreshing change. I think Maverick will go from strength to strength.

Paul, I think at least you had the sensible foresight to add a bigger stick and therefore bigger sails to make sure that she had a reasonable/good performance.
    But she is still a very bulky looking craft, especially from behind.
    I admire the fact that Rudi has designed it to have so much space in a boat this size, and I am sure it would be a good liveaboard, but in my opinion by doing this it loses a lot of visual appeal.
    I suppose if you like taking out loads of people I.E. 20 as you have, then it is ideal, but I prefer to sail with a smaller more intimate crew.

Hi Ian

I agree there is a place for every boat. I learnt quickly with my monohull that if I did not get a boat that met my wife and family's requirements I would be wasting my time and money as they would simply not go on it. I have three children who always seem to have friends, that together with the plan to take the boat overseas to cruise various spots meant I needed the space and comfort. Before the Maverick I was destined to have a floating condominium that did not sail well. I love sailing so that would have been disappointing. I think I was lucky that I managed to get both with a beautifully finished boat. My neighbour is a Wilderness 1480, a lovely looking boat, but with very thin hulls. When three people stand on the front it goes noticebly nose down, that is the price of thin hulls. I am not sure how Phil and Rudy managed to get it to work, I guess the combination of a clever hull shape and taking the extra trouble and expense to build it saving weight where it is not necessary.

I would love to hear more about your intimate crew!

[quote=JohnT;32722]The boat IS big! . . . . but I would not describe it as a “condomaran”. I had the opportunity to have a bit of a snoop around Cosmoledo in the Elliot Basin (Cape Town) last week and was presently surprised. Her lines are definitely a break from tradition but, unlike other “condomarans” and charter specific cats I have been on, this is an exceptionally well designed and thought-out boat, built light for comfortable and fast sailing. And no, it does not have all the “toys” I have seen on other “condomarans” – and definitely not the weight.”

I could not describe the Maverick as a “condomaran” but rather a well designed and thought out vessel for cruising.
    A cruiser by nature needs to have capacity to carry adequate fuel/water and some home comforts such as shaded cockpits and washing machine. After all it will be lived on and used daily for long periods and these days why rough it. Well designed a vessel does not have to be slow.
    The Schonning Wilderness range, whilst good sailors are not as well designed for long term cruising.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    ................... Maverick Yachts on the other hand, having built 6 boats in 18 months have 6 very happy customers. This has everything to do with the ethics of the builder and in particular Rudi and Deslynn Pretorius' attitude. They appear to be in for the long-haul and are rapidly building a reputation for quality and honesty. ....................
    Everything always looks good at the sales end. But there are rumours aplenty about ethics at the back end. No, I have no axe to grind - nether am I competing with them. I just happen to know a few insider things.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseMoney View Post
    Everything always looks good at the sales end. But there are rumours aplenty about ethics at the back end. No, I have no axe to grind - nether am I competing with them. I just happen to know a few insider things.
    Moosemoney, if you have bothered to post this, please explain what you are talking about. Vague inuendo is not helpful to anyone!

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    Moosemoney, if you have bothered to post this, please explain what you are talking about. Vague inuendo is not helpful to anyone!

Mike
    I'm afraid I cannot divulge details as it will severely compromise certain people. It will be best for you to simply ignore my message. Sorry!

WTF?
    That is one of the lamest posts I've ever seen.
    What exactly are/were you trying to say?
    Are you an ex-girlfriend of someone involved?

Quote Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
    WTF?
    That is one of the lamest posts I've ever seen.
    What exactly are/were you trying to say?
    Are you an ex-girlfriend of someone involved?
    Lame by who's definition?
    If you have a problem deal with it. Don't make your nitwit frustrations mine. I gave you my reason, whether you like it or not - I cannot give a sh!t. I stand by what I said and that is it. Leave it or lump it.

First you said

Then you said
    I'm afraid I cannot divulge details as it will severely compromise certain people. It will be best for you to simply ignore my message. Sorry!
    Then you said:
    Lame by who's definition?
    If you have a problem deal with it. Don't make your nitwit frustrations mine. I gave you my reason, whether you like it or not - I cannot give a sh!t. I stand by what I said and that is it. Leave it or lump it.
    What precisely is it that you stand by? All I can ascertain is that there is a non specific "back end" issue connected with ethical conduct. But you will provide no specifics or even a slightly clearer explanation of your allegations.

I have no problem with people being up front and saying what they believe about a company AND WHY. But this underhanded attack is not acceptable. Got something to say about Maverick then say it, otherwise STFU.

boat buyer - I was thinking of buying a maverick
    boat expert - I wouldnt do that
    Boat buyer - why not
    Boat expert - well some unknown non specific internet person made a non specific non supported allegation about something sort of connected to maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    What precisely is it that you stand by? All I can ascertain is that there is a non specific "back end" issue connected with ethical conduct. But you will provide no specifics or even a slightly clearer explanation of your allegations.

I have no problem with people being up front and saying what they believe about a company AND WHY. But this underhanded attack is not acceptable. Got something to say about Maverick then say it, otherwise STFU.
    Well said that man.

Boat buyer - why not
    Boat expert - well some unknown non specific internet person made a non specific non supported allegation about something sort of connected to maverick
    Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    First you said
    Then you said

Then you said:

Boat buyer - why not
    If you don't like what I said - simply don't read it or you STFU!
    I happen to know some serious issues and you don't. I explained why I cannot share the information and I stand by this as the people who shared this information will be severely compromised. Your bullshit here and "STFU" abuse is not going make me change my mind. If you really want to know what I know, then do your own damn homework instead of me spoonfeeding you.

But to assist your lazy ass, I will tell you the following;

My initial message was in reference to integrity and honesty,
    I spoke about the back end - not the front end (customers),
    I never attacked their product nor implied that it there is anything wrong with it.
    I'm also not infering that any of their customers were ripped off in any manner.

As a final suggestion, look for some disgruntled people, hear what they say and look at the evidence they produce. Then make up your own damn mind - if you have one!

................As a final suggestion, look for some disgruntled people, hear what they say and look at the evidence they produce. Then make up your own damn mind - if you have one!
    The WMD saga in Iraq has proved to people even at the highest level, that disgruntled people are not necessarily the most honest in their opinion, nor the most accurate in their statements!:
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

I think this has gotten a bit out of hand, saying something like that on a forum and especially mentioning only certain names of people concerned makes me believe there are alterior motives. Making allegations such as those and not divulging any information on it grants some speculation on how true it is and what the motives are for such a statement, even though they say there is none. I think everyone can make up their own mind.

Ok. Let me get this straight. This chap knows certain things about a certain company but cannot divulge these certain things because there may possibly be some people who do, or don't know the certain things about the certain company that might possibly take offence to the certain things or the certain comapny.

Ok. got it. All cleared up now. (Clear as mud) This guy is either a politician or thinks he works for the CIA.
    Hayden

Life is like a poker game. If you don't win, you lose.

Him -"Hey, I know where there is this REALLY cool sandbox we can go play in."
    Me -"COOL! Let's go play!"
    Him -"Well, I can't actually take you there."
    Me -"Why not?"
    Him -"Well there are some things about the way this sandbox was built... I can't really explain..."
    Me -"Well, why did you tell me about it?"
    Him -"Listen, I'll kick your ass if you keep asking me such stupid questions!!!"
    Me-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast