Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Motion Fastcat Goes Up in Flames

Default Re: Green Motion Fastcat Goes Up in Flames

Picking on Gideon is a fair sport - mainly because he invites it by making outrageous claims. But having said that I am glad there are in fact people out there trying new and interesting things, one day they might work and one day I will benefit.

See here for a Seawind 1000 with one electric drive motor.

Katie Kat Electric Motor

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmultis View Post
    URL="http://www.katiekat.net/Cruise/KatieKat2011A.html#TorqeedoUpdate"]Katie Kat Electric Motor[/URL]
    A little off topic here; I couldn't help noticing you needed well under 3 kW of electrical power to cruise at 5 knots with a 'simple' Torqueedo drive. I guess that is partly due to the torque advantage electric motors have over gas powered outboards. Do you have any conclusions on comparing electrical kW's to gas kW's?

I like the way you made your own battery. How do you ensure all cells are properly charged? If you see what's inside the 'professional' battery packs surely it cannot be so simple as to just connect a lot of cells in parallel? The way I understand it some cells will charge faster than others; if this is not monitored and controlled the capacity of the whole package will suffer. I wonder how long your 'simple' solution will continue to work properly; maybe you prove other solutions are too complex: that would be nice!

Eric
    Sailors do it with the wind ....

A friend had a pair of 4kW Troqueedo's mounted on his boat. At the time, Torqueedo claimed the 4kW was a suitable replacement for the Yam 9.9.

In truth it doesn't produce the same thrust as a Yam 9.9. Electric kW's are probably about the same as petrol or diesel kW's.

It's just that we almost never actually use all the power a petrol or diesel engine can produce.

How often do you push the throttles to the stops? I know in my case it's hardly ever.

Low speed torque? AFAIK the motors in the 4kW Torqueedo spin at up to 10,000 rpm! They have a 10:1 reduction gearbox.

Quote Originally Posted by sigmasailor View Post
    A little off topic here; I couldn't help noticing you needed well under 3 kW of electrical power to cruise at 5 knots with a 'simple' Torqueedo drive. I guess that is partly due to the torque advantage electric motors have over gas powered outboards. Do you have any conclusions on comparing electrical kW's to gas kW's?

I like the way you made your own battery. How do you ensure all cells are properly charged? If you see what's inside the 'professional' battery packs surely it cannot be so simple as to just connect a lot of cells in parallel? The way I understand it some cells will charge faster than others; if this is not monitored and controlled the capacity of the whole package will suffer. I wonder how long your 'simple' solution will continue to work properly; maybe you prove other solutions are too complex: that would be nice!

Eric
    Eric - not my boat, its a friend in San Francisco, his email contact is on his website

According to Sea Minx's owner's on CF "The investigation has concluded that the cause of the fire was a faulty 'trickle' charger that was left on to recharge the genny battery that was flat"
    Roger

------------------
    I look to the future, because that's where I am going to spend the rest of my life - George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
    According to Sea Minx's owner's on CF "The investigation has concluded that the cause of the fire was a faulty 'trickle' charger that was left on to recharge the genny battery that was flat"
    Hmmm; you're right.

Eric

See? It's Gideon's fault after all!

Why? Do you know who supplied and connected the charger?

I was wondering if it was one of those portable automotive type chargers.

Why was the gene battery flat to begin with?
    Any ideas?
    Safe Sailing
    Paul
    Blog: www.suliere.com

Lots of ideas but since I wasn't there it's better to keep them to myself. The whole affair is sad enough; why should this forum stir up things? Like yourself I prefer to stick with facts; currently I don't have any.

Eric
    Asking questions is not stirring things up. We have learnt that the cause was a battery charger into a flat gene battery. I am surprised the gene battery was even flat but with such a innovative boat and the history behind it it could be that this incident seals the lid on any future green motion boat from Gideon - it is very much in his interest to find out and explain what happened - at this point about 50% of his green motion boats have gone up in smoke so not a good start.
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Maybe some good first hand information will appear there?
    I cannot believe Sea Minx would have a simple automotive type charger installed. When Gideon showed me around Green Emotion last year all I saw was Mastervolt equipment or special converters (to charge propulsion batteries from service batteries I think) built to military specs.

I cannot believe Sea Minx would have a simple automotive type charger installed.
    I totally agree and I would be amazed if that is what they ordered against Gideon;s advice. It would seem that Gideon fitted such a charger does it not?
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Paul, that definitely is stirring up things. O, forgot this:

Eric
    The3 difference between us is that you point towards the owners being at fault for fitting the charger whilst I point towards those who almost certainly fitted it. So I am only counter stirring what you stir up against the customer in order to provide a better balance
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

I'm trying not point at either; I simply do not have the facts.
    There is another difference I note: three to be exact

I cannot believe Sea Minx would have a simple automotive type charger installed
    If you write that why is i wrong for me to write that I cannot believe that Gideo installed a simple automotive type charger?
    Safe Sailing
    Paul

Please will you two STOP SQUABBLING.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Hey guys, calm down. I was the one that asked the question. I was wondering if there was some type of issue charging the genny battery so someone borrowed or acquired one of those automotive chargers while at the dock. In no way did I ever think it was installed equipment. No ones answered yet so let's just see. BOB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast