Thread: Prout Quest 31 weak points?

Default Prout Quest 31 weak points?

Hello,

I am working on the purchase of a Prout Quest 31. I know these boats as very stable contructed, but a 30 year old boat has had chances enough to be in careless hands...
    Are there any special weak points to be noticed at this model or older Prouts in general?

I have heard to pay attention at water in the skegs, weak mast bases, moulded bulkheads and hairline cracks between nacelle and hull.

Thanks in advance
    Charlie

Default Re: Prout Quest 31 weak points?

Obviously, have a good look round at everything for yourself. However the most important thing for you to do is find a surveyor who is familiar with cats and get him to do a very thorough survey. He wwould check all these things I'm sure, but you could always ask him specifically.

Good luck. I hope you have found a good one.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

I cannot remember if the Quest 31 has the same attachment for the main shrouds as the pre-1996 Snowgoose - i.e. attachments to the coachroof. A few of these earlier boats have found that the stress on the coachroof has distorted the shape. For those boats that also have a window in the smae arae of the coachroof, there is a possibility of serious damage, and looking at the bonding of this window will show this.

For the post 1996 Prouts, this attachment was moved to the side of the hull and is a much stronger and safer installation.
    Insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results

We just had our 1984 Quest 31 surveyed and we had a great survey report, but, I must stress that this was a boat that we pretty much rebuilt after a shoddy fit out. We have owned Kalamazoo since 1986 so know the boat well and have sailed her in all conditions (including a nice F10 last year for instance)

Here are the points that you need to watch out for:

1. Cracking at Nacelle and bridge deck - Solved by stiffening inside the lockers with stringers and glass.
    2 - Flexing in the hull sides - Solved by stiffening inside the hull with 2 levels of foam filled GRM stringers
    3 - Cracking of the GRP laminate at cap shroud fixing - (Often a window here does not help) - Strengthening of the laminate and beefing up of main bulkhead in this area
    4 - Flexing of the deck in unsupported areas - Solved by stiffening under the deck with foam filled GRM stringers
    5 - Water tanks - Dry them out each winter and never leave filled for any amount of time

The Quest is a great boat, after 25 years we have no plans to upgrade.

Check out the Sailing today test on Kalamazoo that was published in January 2012.

Oregon, USA until I retire and we sail away

Quote Originally Posted by Quest 31 Kalamazoo View Post
    5 - Water tanks - Dry them out each winter and never leave filled for any amount of time
    "never leave filled for any amount of time"? Do you mean if not in active use? Is there something particularly problematic about these tanks?

Not specifically but there is a risk of osmosis if the tank was not treated with the correct finish/paint.

Some have used a flexible tank in the keels to protect from this issue.

If the hull of a GRP yacht is not epoxied then it may get osmosis over many years of emersion. The insides of a built in water tank such as in the keels of a Prout Cat may suffer the same issue.

So, we have always dried them out every year at lay up time and never left them filled. If I am going cruising for a length of time then of course they are filled. If i am just day sailing I keep them empty and she sails better as well!

Thanks so much - well, we bought her already and she fulfills every message I heard and red about her. Some of the stabilisations you mentioned are already made by the pre owner.

After viewing almost every spot we could reach there was no problem visible and we also had three days of sailing her already. She does well - only two things to be made soon: A leaking window and the outlet valve of the toilet does not move. I will see if WD40 will do the latter.
    Do you have experience in fixing the window sealings? They are about 7 years old and of polycarbonate, screwed from outside on a black seal.

Windows! We are replacing ours this coming winter. The issue I think comes from the expansion and contraction in changing temperature. We are going to split each window with a 7mm gap between each one that will be filled with black sika to maintain appearance.

Still not made final decision and will seek professional advice. It makes sense to use window covers when the boat is not in use to protect from UV.

Hope all goes well for you!

I don't know if it will help in your situations, but I have found the following works well.

I replaced all fixing screws with nylon bolts. M5 size 25mm long. Get hex or cheese or pan head, but NOT countersunk. Remove windows and clean them. Drill out holes in the polycarbonate or acrylic carefully to a slightly loose fit on the bolts, and the frame as necessary. Re-seat the windows in sikaflex or whatever and fix with the bolts, washers and nuts. Do them up slowly and evenly. Let them settle for a day or so. Then trim off the surplus length of nylon bolt with side cutters.

The nylon bolts allow a certain amount of controlled movement. The lack of tight fit on the window allows a little movement. The importance of avoiding countersunk heads, though they look tidy, is that due to their taper they fit exactly into the holes and prevent movement.

This has worked every time, so far.

Cheers

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Thanks for that, yes agreed that countersunk is wrong.

Oh which 31 did you buy? Are you based in Germany?

Best

Paul

@ Mike: Thanks a lot, this makes sense and I will try to do the job as soon as possible (after my dictionary helped me with these tech terms;-)

@ Paul: Yes, the boat called "Vela" is in the Baltic 60 km from my home and we pray to have some nice (and dry) summer weeks in spite of a wet spot. Hope that the interior paneling will hold out... My kids want to name her "Kenterprise" (kentern = to capsize), well... - we prefer "Catatua"!

Cheers,
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Quest 31 Kalamazoo View Post
    We just had our 1984 Quest 31 surveyed and we had a great survey report, but, I must stress that this was a boat that we pretty much rebuilt after a shoddy fit out. We have owned Kalamazoo since 1986 so know the boat well and have sailed her in all conditions (including a nice F10 last year for instance)

Here are the points that you need to watch out for:

1. Cracking at Nacelle and bridge deck - Solved by stiffening inside the lockers with stringers and glass.
    2 - Flexing in the hull sides - Solved by stiffening inside the hull with 2 levels of foam filled GRM stringers
    3 - Cracking of the GRP laminate at cap shroud fixing - (Often a window here does not help) - Strengthening of the laminate and beefing up of main bulkhead in this area
    4 - Flexing of the deck in unsupported areas - Solved by stiffening under the deck with foam filled GRM stringers

The Quest is a great boat, after 25 years we have no plans to upgrade.

Check out the Sailing today test on Kalamazoo that was published in January 2012.
    Thanks again - I can share most of these points unrestrictedly - using the boat, though, and she does pretty well!
    But now I decided to lift up the old lady a bit. Please help my old dictionary:
    What do you mean by foam filled 'GRM' stringers?
    Thanks!