Thread: ?? Privilege 39 cruising/maintenance budget ??

Default ?? Privilege 39 cruising/maintenance budget ??

Aloha All

So here is the age old question that has been rehashed over and over.
    But I will be specific to hopefully add clarity.

I am wanting to know how much you are spending yearly/monthly for maintenance and upkeep only on a 39 Privilege. Lets just pretend that the
    cruising gods have been nice and you have had no major expenditures like repower, new reg, or new sails. Please let me know if their is any one thing that repeatedly cost money that I may be able to avoid on my potential 39 Privilege. I am looking at a straight shaft model so that will save money.

I am trying to get a 5 year budget and I know Hall outs will need to be taken into consideration.

Thank you very much for any real world information.
    feel free to PM me if you dont want your info out.

Big mahalo
    jack

Default Re: ?? Privilege 39 cruising/maintenance budget ??

Were in same the boat, (not really slightly smaller boat lol) Lots depends on condition of things. One thing were looking at is what the big ticket items cost( electronics, enclosures, major parts on engines, Alternators, pumps, Maybe a tranny, Exhaust elbows, Fridge, maybe 1 or two Heat exchangers, resewing sails, replacing lines, Fresh water pumps, head rebuild kits etc, Seeing that much of this stuff only lasts 4-7 years even with maintenance, adding it all up and divide by the months, adds another $150.00 +/- to the whole cost of living aboard, that should be set aside. That is assuming this stuff is new, if its already old, well that $ amount just increased a bunch. Let me know what you come up with for a Budget, I am curious to find out.

When it comes to budgets, I've found the boat, regardless of make, will take all the money you've got. It's probably more about what you are willing to spend then it is about how much it will cost.

These are the 2 truism of cruising:

1. It doesn't matter how much money you have, the boat will take it all.
    2. The boat will never be ready, so you might as well go now.

Quote Originally Posted by scotte View Post
    When it comes to budgets, I've found the boat, regardless of make, will take all the money you've got. It's probably more about what you are willing to spend then it is about how much it will cost.

Aloha Scotte

Thank you for your info. It is very true what you are saying. I know getting a maintenance budget is a very hard thing to do. Every one has a deferent opinion on what proper maintenance is. I am seeing this first hand as I shop for cats. I was thinking if I could get 3 of 4 cases on the P39 then I could kind of average that. It also greatly depends on how much of the work you do your self. I was also interested in any common or recurring problems the P39 has. I already know of the leaking windows causing headliner problems and the bottom of the chain locker cracking the jelcoat. I am set on finding a straight shaft boat so that will be less maintenance.

Well thanks for your info any more would be great
    jack

Quote Originally Posted by scotte View Post

Everyone who wants to buy any cruising boat (ACTUALLY ANY BOAT!) needs to accept the above truisms, these are "indisputable"

in·dis·put·a·ble
    /ˌindiˈspyo͞otəbəl/

Adjective
    Not disputable; unable to be challenged or denied: "an indisputable fact".
    Synonyms
    incontrovertible - incontestable - unquestionable

Cruising Boat = Money Pit

Bob