Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: solar panels australia

Default Re: solar panels australia

Thats what they said about the Japanese. Toyota/Lexus are the most reliable cars made these days. Then they said it about Korea. Hyundai is now respected as a good brand. Both are better than Aussie or US cars.

I agree it sucks that China can make a far better value product than we can in many cases. I do buy a lot of Aussie made stuff where I can, but its just not always cost effective when the prices are going to affect my life. BTW where was your large expensive cat made? Mine was made in Australia!

Great Wall cars are shitboxes. Agreed. Unlike solar panels it does not even make economic sense to buy one, since a used Toyota will be twice as good and be worth more when its time to sell it. And there is no question about how much better a Toyota really is than a great wall! With the panels I am not so sure. My Chinese solar panels and inverter for my house have been going perfectly for over 5 years. During this time the prices have fallen so much it clearly would have been a waste to spend 3 times the price on them.
    Last edited by dennisail; 30th June 2014 at 11:47 AM.

Well there you go, that's why I mentioned we are all different. So people are happy driving rice burners with sloppy lights and the rest of us want to drive Mercedes, chevy's, etc.. Different stokes for different folks. Btw, my cat wasn't built in China. But the boat building industry in Australia has all but stopped. As we cut our own throats in the Western world, we are losing jobs because people buy in China and we lose our own industry. And soon everybody here will be like Greece/Spain, if you take the mineral boom out of Australia, we won't be able to afford those Chinese panels you like. Its like we are on a downward spiral. If we are worried about affecting our standard of living or lifestyle now, it's because we don't think ahead and only consider short term gains.

This was just the point I was trying to make about buying Chinese. We lose jobs and industry and end up on the scrap heap ourselves. But all good bro, I didn't buy my panels in Australia either I got German and British.

L&N

Quote Originally Posted by LouisAndNatasha View Post
    Well there you go, that's why I mentioned we are all different. So people are happy driving rice burners with sloppy lights and the rest of us want to drive Mercedes, chevy's, etc.. Different stokes for different folks. Btw, my cat wasn't built in China. But the boat building industry in Australia has all but stopped. As we cut our own throats in the Western world, we are losing jobs because people buy in China and we lose our own industry. And soon everybody here will be like Greece/Spain, if you take the mineral boom out of Australia, we won't be able to afford those Chinese panels you like. Its like we are on a downward spiral. If we are worried about affecting our standard of living or lifestyle now, it's because we don't think ahead and only consider short term gains.

This was just the point I was trying to make about buying Chinese. We lose jobs and industry and end up on the scrap heap ourselves. But all good bro, I didn't buy my panels in Australia either I got German and British.

L&N
    You do realise how hypocritical your post is right? You buy your whole boat AND panels from outside of Australia. Yet people like me who buy Chinese solar panels will be the downfall of Australia even though my boat is AU made.

Besides the strong hypocrisy in your post, I actually fully agree with what is in store for us economically regarding the loss of our manufacturing industry. But that deserves a thread all to itself.

If there was some sort of magic pact I could make with the rest Australians, that we would ALL promise to buy only AU made products I would do it regardless of expense. It would only be more expensive for a while then it would end up in our favor eventually. I think we may agree on this point.

But at the moment its just pissing into the wind. If I buy a $1000 foreign (stop singling out China) solar system instead of a $4000 AU system, that is $3000 I can spend elsewhere on AU made products that present better value such as my new sails which will be AU made.

Ahhhhhhh, but where the cloth and thread coming from??????

The Chinese have been responsible for some of the more recent advances in solar panels. Some of the stuff they make is cheap rubbish, but not all of it.

And even their cheap solar panels make them more accessible, and help force the better quality makers to price their products more competitively.

A mate had me look at his 2 panels. One was a cheap factory second Chinese panel. The other was a kyocera. The chinese one is working like new 5 years later, the kyocera has bad connections/corrosion under the glass where its impossible to repair.

Not exactly a huge sample size. Take from it what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
    A mate had me look at his 2 panels. One was a cheap factory second Chinese panel. The other was a kyocera. The chinese one is working like new 5 years later, the kyocera has bad connections/corrosion under the glass where its impossible to repair.

Not exactly a huge sample size. Take from it what you will.

I have repaired a few panels with corrosion under the glass by accessing from the back of the panel and then resealing with silicon, works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tomlinson4 View Post
    I have repaired a few panels with corrosion under the glass by accessing from the back of the panel and then resealing with silicon, works fine.
    How did you get through the backing? I didn't try, I thought it would just shatter the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
    How did you get through the backing? I didn't try, I thought it would just shatter the panel.

the backing was just thin plastic which i cut with a knife and peeled back, then dig out the green corrosion and clean up the remaining copper strip and solder on a new connection, its normally at the power output connection area where water can get in, these panels had been in the sea. Resealed with silicon and back to a working panel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123