Thread: How well does a Fountain Pajot 36 sail?

Default How well does a Fountain Pajot 36 sail?

Looking for owners and sailors input on this vessel ..

I'm look at at purchasing a 2008

Default Re: How well does a Fountain Pajot 36 sail?

Our FP Mahe 36 sails quite well. Much quicker than our previous boat, a very heavy Lagoon 410 but we keep the Mahe as light as feasible. We are typically doing 7-8kn, maximum so far is 12kn going downwind in a strong breeze. The Mahe has a nice sail area to displacement ratio, much better than most newer FP or Lagoon designs. If you keep her light she has better than average sailing peformance I would say.
    Going upwind in stronger winds she hobby horses a bit due to the slender hulls, more than the newer designs with wider sterns.

Overall a nice boat!

Thumbs up Re: How well does a Fountain Pajot 36 sail?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    Our FP Mahe 36 sails quite well. Much quicker than our previous boat, a very heavy Lagoon 410 but we keep the Mahe as light as feasible. We are typically doing 7-8kn, maximum so far is 12kn going downwind in a strong breeze. The Mahe has a nice sail area to displacement ratio, much better than most newer FP or Lagoon designs. If you keep her light she has better than average sailing peformance I would say.
    Going upwind in stronger winds she hobby horses a bit due to the slender hulls, more than the newer designs with wider sterns.

Overall a nice boat!
    Thank You Rabbi - I was also looking at the Lagoon 41 so you are confirming my decision to move forward with the FP Mahe 36.
    Great Sailing to you!
    Paul

Default Re: How well does a Fountain Pajot 36 sail?

Quote Originally Posted by psalmon View Post
    Thank You Rabbi - I was also looking at the Lagoon 41 so you are confirming my decision to move forward with the FP Mahe 36.
    Great Sailing to you!
    Paul
    The Mahe is certainly quicker than a heavy Lagoon 410. Our Lagoon came with lots of heavy gear (huge genset, aircon, a plant-sized watermaker, dive compressor, etc) , so sailed pretty slow. I guess if kept light the 410 should be on par or even faster and due to size will be a bit more stable in heavy seas.

The 410 of curse has more elbow room and a better sized cockpit, but the Mahe is large enough for our family of 4. Just not large enough for many guests.

Please note that several FP models including the Mahe had issues with osmosis in several modelyears. Many owners don't want to talk about this but to me its not a problem. If that particular boat hasn't developed osmosis by now I don't see an increased risk for the foreseeable future. If she had been treated for osmosis under warranty than most likely this was done following the regime defined and paid for by FP. That means she now basically has an epoxy bottom which is better than anything else i'm aware of.
    On the otherhand the Mahe has a foam core and very little plywood in the structure, so no risk of rot. Newer FPs are now balsa core just like all modern Lagoons.

Good luck with the deal!