Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Push me over the fence

Default Re: Push me over the fence

Quote Originally Posted by Sailingharry View Post
    Are they offshore capable?
    Yes, demonstrably so, - well some are and some aren't just like monos. But yes overall they are

Are the bridge decks in modern cats too low
    Some are but most are fine

Are there any comfortable, affordable cruising cats that are worthy of seeking out?
    Plenty - depends on the budget

Water tanks are often hundreds of gallons (well, OK, maybe just a hundred or two).
    Used a water maker, but most still have large enough water tanks

Weight not only makes them slow, it makes them unhappy
    .SO true, thats why its important to start with a boat that isnt too heavy

Probably want a spare set of sails, even if older ones
    .Matter for you but I wouldn't you can get sails freighted to you almost anywhere in the world

Full set of carpenters tools as well as mechanics tools.
    Shouldn't be that much timber!!

Water maker, generator, solar panels, 500+Ah of batteries
    Yes - except for the generator, unless its a small light portable one.

How long should it be?
    All thge so called experts will say must be 40 foot, or in real speak, 12 metres, that is of course incorrect, but the longer and lighter the better.

Am I right in the belief that a 38' cat is about the minimum to cross the Pacific, not only in seaworthiness but in storing/carrying the gear to spend a year for the trip?
    No it can be done in much smaller, and safely but see above, longer is better

Catamarans are mostly available in charter hot-spots outfitted for charter.
    Some are - but many aren't

I see that almost all cats have sideways bunks, especially the forward ones that are stuck in the bridge deck ahead of the mast.
    Usually referred to as island berths - and allow two people to get in and out without climbing over each other

While they are fine at anchor, are they viable sea berths?
    Yes - but I would choose a cat with one transverse and one fore and aft to give you a "feet first to bow" berth on rough passages.
    One of the most coveted seats, if installed, are the "stern perches" on each aft corner, where folks can sit with excellent visibility
    .True
    Catamarans appear to be more like moving cocktail lounges, with the helmsman being the "bus driver" with an elevated forward view, and no one else able to do anything but sit, chat, and see where you've already been
    .Some are - many are, particularly the charter barges, but there are plenty that are not. I hate God Pod helms with a passion.

Performance vs comfort. It seems to me that cruising cats are slower than I'd expect.As a long time racer and performance cruiser who can frequently go an entire sailing weekend without starting the engine (including anchoring and leaving the anchorage), am I going to be frustrated by a cat that is less "sailing cat" and more "low performance power cat?"
    Again, there are plenty of good designs out there that are quick and rewarding to sail.

This one
    was a piece of s**t when I looked at it in 2010. Hull and rig were fine, but everything else junk.

It hasn't sold in 6 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Sailingharry View Post
    While many cats in the 1985-2005 range meet my buget and general size requirements, I do find that the early 2000 (say, 2001 +/-) FP Athena seem to pop up a lot. Combination of the right age, right size, right price,and sufficient hulls built, I guess. Lots of them (if you don't mind shopping 3000 miles away) in the $100K - $150K range. Wish there were a 3-cabin version! Or better yet, a 2-cabin version.

I do need to get some time on cats, both at the dock and underway. Here on the Chesapeake, there are VERY few to see, and fewer opportunities to sail them (the recommendation for the Chesapeake Sailing Club aside). My spring is shot both budget and time, but I may try and see if we can find an offshore delivery to the Carribbean fall 2016l or a return spring 2017. With our general sailing skills and my very strong "repair aptitude" we should be an easy sell. It'd be especially good if I could find an Athena!

The FP Athena was a good seller back then, and successful in many charter regions. I have heard mostly good things about them but personally don't like their style. Especially the interior of all FPs of that vintage has no place to stretch, everyhting is round or elliptical. Reminds me of that "Colani" design back in the early 90s.

The FP Mahe (which we have) comes in 2 and 3 cabin layout. Its design is from mid 2000s and has a modern, somewhat square design but is a true sailbaot (vs. modern charter barges).
    Maybe a bit small for a circumnavigation. The payload required for long legs will need sensible optimizing (watermaker instead of big tank, solar instead of genset, etc). Even then its still small for the task.
    I remember one Mahe circumnavigated a few years back but can't find their blog anymore.

Your budget will allow for a recent Mahe, an older Lagoon 380, a recent Leopard 384 and many other boats. Just look around when the time comes to pull the trigger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12