Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lagoon 400 - Questions on Equipping.

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

Default Re: Lagoon 400 - Questions on Equipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
    Novice question. - Does the Parasailer require a pole ?
    I'm after something that can be set and furled by one person (ideally), and for cruising type sailing, Poles are just an accident waiting to happen.
    rickp is correct, no pole required. Keep in mind that a parasailor is just a symmetrical spinnaker with good marketing. Either can be set by one person (and an autopilot) but as with everything else, it's easier with more than one. Dousing with a sock can be challenging as the wind pipes up, depending on the size of the sail.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 2hulls View Post
    rickp is correct, no pole required. Keep in mind that a parasailor is just a symmetrical spinnaker with good marketing. Either can be set by one person (and an autopilot) but as with everything else, it's easier with more than one. Dousing with a sock can be challenging as the wind pipes up, depending on the size of the sail.

Dave
    Thanks.

And I agree, most things are easier with 2 people !. But as I'm sure many of you do, I want to have the OPTION to do it with one if needed. 2-Handing a boat on passage, to me, is pretty much single handing it just for 1/2 the time !. And I want to make things as easy on my less experienced partner as humanly possible in the early months/years of this adventure. (partially to ensure there are many MORE years of it !). But that is a subject for a whole different thread I suspect !. (although it is one reason we ended up on the 400)

Thanks again for all the great comments. Such a collaborative place this one, (unlike certain others ... CF ... ), and you put up with the rank novice and my dumb questions very well !.

The one I was refering to that looks interesting is MASTR. http://www.kronosenergysolutions.com...ts/mastR1.html
    On the face of it - they look like they deliver the amps. I can't find any independent testing though. Also - its 50KG quite high up the mast....

Quote Originally Posted by rickp View Post
    On the face of it - they look like they deliver the amps. I can't find any independent testing though. Also - its 50KG quite high up the mast....
    Yes the mast weight is something for consideration. I just wasn't keen on having a noisy wind generator sitting above the cockpit. More research to do....

Yes the mast weight is something for consideration. I just wasn't keen on having a noisy wind generator sitting above the cockpit. More research to do....
    Find a popular marina, and walk around listening - make your own mind up. Thats what we did...

Find a popular marina, and walk around listening - make your own mind up. Thats what we did...
    Fair point, and prob a good plan.

Lots to consider.

Thanks.

Washing machine is mandatory. If I can run it off the solar / large house bank, bonus. (And the associated Watermaker).

Any recommendations on Watermaker ? I was thinking one of the Large Spectra's. One that can do 50-100L in an hour. But that hasn't been properly researched at ALL yet.

Mark.
    The good thing is, you're probably only going to do the laundry on sunny days. So plenty of power available.

We have a Village marine tech watermaker, ours is a Little Wonder, rated at 200 GPD or about 33 lph, but they make much bigger ones. The pump is a Parker Racor titanium pump, very reliable and long lasting.

The good thing is, you're probably only going to do the laundry on sunny days. So plenty of power available.
    Haha, good point !. Little detail called 'drying' said washing.

Thanks for the Watermaker info.

Regards

Mark

Laptops and screens don't use that much power. I think the solar will be fine and an upgraded alt will do when its cloudy. Maintaining and fitting a huge heavy deisel genset just does not seem worth it. Spend the money on a larger lithium battery bank. Tesla has announced they will half the price of thier banks in 6 months in the EU. This will be the start of a falling price trend IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 2hulls View Post
    Keep in mind that a parasailor is just a symmetrical spinnaker with good marketing.
    And you'd almost convinced me you were keeping an open mind. Doh!

Home port Chesapeake Bay; Cruising full time.

And you'd almost convinced me you were keeping an open mind. Doh!
    Yep, the smiley face was specifically for you.

Not trying to convince anybody, but just one more vote for the parasailer.
    I have got one on my monohull (Etap 34s) and I am very happy with it. I also have experience with “normal” spinnakers and I find the parasailer much easier to use. I fly it singlehanded and even on the monohull it doesn’t need a spinnaker pole. I am now buying a multihull (Mahe 36) which has about the same I-measurement so I will take the parasailor with me. On the new boat it will be even easier to use.
    It is more forgiving than an ordinary spi, it is much more stable, with less rolling. When the luff collapses and you correct your course it comes back quietly and not with a big bang.
    Yes, it is expensive but for me it is worth it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123