Thread: Anyone know this catamaran? Prout Quest 31

Default Anyone know this catamaran? Prout Quest 31

Spotted a Prout Quest 31 called 'Alley Cat' that's been on the market for a while now.

I reckon with a name like that someone must be around who knows or has come into contact with it.

It's overpriced at the moment (22k), as would need new sails, a little engine care, new instruments, and probably a tidy up of the electronics, and interior. It's not got many bells or whistles on it at all, but might make a decent project at the right price.

http://www.multihullworld.com/boatdetails.asp?id=12447

Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Anyone know this catamaran? Prout Quest 31

In early 1990s I used to know a Prout like that, that was renamed as Ally Cat, and was repainted that strong yellow all over. The paint job was not good and could well have been partly removed since then. It did look pretty awful I thought. It was then based in Conwy, North Wales and I knew the owner.

The boat was, as far as I knew, perfectly sound, but the fittings and equipment were fairly basic as was normal then.

Mike
    Nothing works on an old boat, except the skipper.

Quote Originally Posted by dmmbruce View Post
    In early 1990s I used to know a Prout like that, that was renamed as Ally Cat, and was repainted that strong yellow all over. The paint job was not good and could well have been partly removed since then. It did look pretty awful I thought. It was then based in Conwy, North Wales and I knew the owner.

The boat was, as far as I knew, perfectly sound, but the fittings and equipment were fairly basic as was normal then.

Mike
    It's the same boat, the owner made, and was very proud of, that hardtop.

She was bought by a local guy from a customer in France, she sat on the river exe for about 2 years with the intention of being refitted, but I never saw any work done on her and then she disappeared, She did need quite a bit of work, but anybody with a bit of time and good DIY skills - no problem, but do you really want a Prout!! Heavy, slow, slam, etc!!!!

No I don't have my heart set on a Prout, just mindful of my small budget.

In my price range, I can probably get a good ready to sail Quest 31 (not this one), Quest 33, Heavenly Twins 27 (mk5). If I stretch I can get a Prout snogoose 35 that wants little or no work.
    There's a big price gap between the above mentioned cats and the likes of the Fountaine Pajot Maldives, or even the Gemini (which wouldn't work for me anyway).

I have seen a Beneteau Blue II for sale, could probably knock them down to get it budget with a little stretch, but the broker hasn't returned my messages and I imagine its wanting more work than I'm willing to do myself.

It looks like a very nice boat. To me the price sounds quite reasonable, however it of course depends on the status of the engine. With some maintenance you'll have a fine boat!

Nah. Was told that it was a home build (interior at least) and that it was in a right state.

There was another at Mutlihullworld that looked in better condition but that needed around 10,000+ spent on her. Considering there are more complete cats pretty much ready to go for what the combined total would be, I've passed on both.

Would love to find a nice 33 as I'm keen to stay below 10.5m for marina costs.